1. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 03:37
    You have to let me know what books you are studying. Thats an impressive graph you have going. Are all cops this dirty?
  2. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 12:17
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    You have to let me know what books you are studying. Thats an impressive graph you have going. Are all cops this dirty?
    wow, maybe just a growth spurt of the brain, you could ski on that graph
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 12:41
    He has won 34% of his games via timeout- just another reason why we should take all ratings on the site with a grain of salt.

We should all take pride whenever we play a good individual game, and not pay too much attention to a number assigned purely on result without regard to what happened on the board.
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 13:00
    That graph does look a wee bit dodgy, I must admit. But let me raise the question - what level of improvement within a certain timeframe can been seen as non-suspicious? I've recently gone from 1550-odd to 1700 in the space of a few months (bit lower currently due a series of time-outs against lower-rated players). And I haven't really done much to earn it - started taking a bit more time over my moves and begun following a few youtube annotation channels. No genuine study whatsoever.

I've no doubt a committed student starting at 1200 level could legitimately improve by several hundred points within the space of a year.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 13:15
    I'm always suspicious with respect to long winning streaks (indicated by continuous increase in rating). This can of course be caused by a number of things, such as:
    - using a computer or other (unallowed) assistance
    - playing much lower rated players
    - large number of resigning opponents for non-chess related reasons
    - time-outs

A dedicated player may increase several hundreds of points a year, but nevertheless in a gradual way. You can't learn without making mistakes, so at least once in a while there should be a blunder or so resulting in a loss.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    He has won 34% of his games via timeout- just another reason why we should take all ratings on the site with a grain of salt.

We should all take pride whenever we play a good individual game, and not pay too much attention to a number assigned purely on result without regard to what happened on the board.
    I've got a game against him at the moment. He was 1400 when the game started at the beginning of November. If you look at the games he's won during his winning streak only a few have been because of timeouts.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 14:41
    I think he studies Mayfair, Razzle, Penthouse etc .

They give all young boys a rise!
  8. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 07:55
    all I can say is WOW!
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 08:53
    Originally posted by adramforall
    I think he studies Mayfair, Razzle, Penthouse etc .

They give all young boys a rise!
    I think he's seriously into his Monopoly.

skeeter
  10. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 16:37
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

Here here.

Q

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree