1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 17:56
    There are in my opinion a couple of oddities with the rules that make no sense:

1) A piece pinned to the king cannot move. Surely if it is protecting a piece checking the enemy king, it would still not be able to move if the enemy king captures the checking piece - how about said situation resulting in a draw due to the ensuing mutal check?

2) If it took 99 half-moves to checkmate somebody, surely they'd move away, triggering a draw by the 50 move rule (the present board situation always taking preference to future moves).
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:03
    Originally posted by Andrelious

1) A piece pinned to the king cannot move. Surely if it is protecting a piece checking the enemy king, it would still not be able to move if the enemy king captures the checking piece - how about said situation resulting in a draw due to the ensuing mutal check?

2) If it ...[text shortened]... raw by the 50 move rule (the present board situation always taking preference to future moves).
    If you make rule change 1, then you should also change the rule about winning. You do not win with checkmate, but capturing the opponent's king.

If there's a checkmate to be had and you can't get it done in 50 moves, then there's a problem.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:03
    no.
  4. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:051 edit
    Nothing should be changed.

If anything is changed, I would allow the Queen to also be able to move like a Knight, which would make it move like every piece. That is all.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:14
    Originally posted by gorookyourself

If anything is changed, I would allow the Queen to also be able to move like a Knight, which would make it move like every piece. That is all.
    This piece already exists and is called an Amazon, or Maharajah. There are various variants which use it.
  6. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:161 edit
    This piece already exists and is called an Amazon, or Maharajah. There are various variants which use it.
    I would call it the Queen, because that is what it is.
    The Queen used to move one square at a time and I think it was called the Queen back then. So why would we think we could rename it?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:16
    The Queen moved one square diagonally in the forerunner game Shatranj. I believe it was most commonly called a 'Firzan'.
  8. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:17
    I'm just saying that would be the only change I could tolerate in Chess. Anything more extreme than that and I would quit and focus on Backgammon. Which surprisingly has very large tournaments and payouts.
  9. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:19
    The Queen moved one square diagonally in the forerunner game Shatranj. I believe it was most commonly called a 'Firzan'.
    Does that translate to Queen? if so then it's the Queen.
  10. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 18:211 edit
    Firzan translates to "General" God bless google.
    But I am referring to Medieval times where they "upgraded" the Queen to make it more powerful, they didn't re-name it then. Or did they? 😕
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 19:21
    I would call it the Queen, because that is what it is.
    now you're being just silly. it's not queen, it's a Daami.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 19:22

Before chess was standardised the Queen in the Russian version could move as bishop, rook or knight.
  13. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Before chess was standardised the Queen in the Russian version could move as bishop, rook or knight.
    I wonder why they never kept it that way? Not that it is better, it's just the only change I could deal with. Extra pieces or that 960 crap would drive me away. I don't think the Chess world would miss me though. 😉
  14. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 21:03

1) A piece pinned to the king cannot move........
    Incorrect. The only piece that cannot legally move when pinned to the King is the knight. All other pieces, including pawns, are able to be moved along the vector of the pin, even capturing the piece that is effecting that pin.

skeeter
  15. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 21:44

😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree