1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:51
    I am currently playing somebody on a game with 1 day timeout 0 day timebank (as I can't stand waiting around), and he yesterday messaged me asking what he could do as he is going away. I offered a draw to avoid the timeout possibility but he has not responded.

Is it unsporting to take the timeout?
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:531 edit
    It's totally up to you, but generally if my opponent told me he was going to be away, I wouldn't take the skull. Others will surely dissagree though...

There is a very good chance he just didn't see your draw offer.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 16:08
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    It's totally up to you, but generally if my opponent told me he was going to be away, I wouldn't take the skull. Others will surely dissagree though...

There is a very good chance he just didn't see your draw offer.
    I'm the same way. I generally click skulls, but if the other guy tells me in advance what is going on, I'll wait.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 18:49
    Originally posted by Andrelious
    I am currently playing somebody on a game with 1 day timeout 0 day timebank (as I can't stand waiting around), and he yesterday messaged me asking what he could do as he is going away. I offered a draw to avoid the timeout possibility but he has not responded.

You are magnanimous enough to offer a draw. You might want to check his loss-by-time-out count and if it's high, give him a little message by skulling asap that it's unsportsmanlike to get into 1/0 tournaments with his history. Otherwise, if it's low make up a number of days deadline in your mind and impose it.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 18:56
    Originally posted by JS357
    You are magnanimous enough to offer a draw. You might want to check his loss-by-time-out count and if it's high, give him a little message by skulling asap that it's unsportsmanlike to get into 1/0 tournaments with his history. Otherwise, if it's low make up a number of days deadline in your mind and impose it.
    Do you think people are being kind to Weyersrass? Does anyone know if he notified people he is taking some kind of break? It's been over a month, some games would allow even that but a 3/7....
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 19:04

Not unsporting.
    Illness, breavement, Act of God ,,, then give him a break
    but
    surely he knew he was going on holiday?!?!?

AND

because you are a non-subscriber and limited to 6 games it does have a negative effect on your enjoyment of the site.

He has behaved selfishly.

TAKE THE SKULL
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 19:14

Not at all.

Boot on other foot and I bet he'd take timeout.

Just make sure that you always move within the 1/0 limit so that it will be him that faces timout option, not you.

Its not like he doesn't know the possibilities as he has won/lost enough games via timeout.
  8. Joined
    20 Jul '10
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 20:09
    Did you send him the draw offer through a private message? If so go to sent messages and you can tell if he read it or not. If he read it and ignored you then take the win.
  9. e4
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 12:082 edits
    It did not take me long to find the game.

Although the lad is new and his details are not yet showing if you look
    at your oppoents games you will see he has already clicked two skulls.

He knows the rules and has enforced them.

'Those that live by the sword, die by the sword."
  10. Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 12:22
    Personally I wouldn't take it, not if he gave a good reason. Sure he would have known he was going on holiday, but what was he supposed to do? Not play any chess for a month beforehand? If you are playing a move per day, that's how long an average game will take. From the sounds of it, you chose the time options, chances are he didn't notice the time limits until the game was under-way.

I currently have a game where my opponent hasn't moved for 2 weeks. Normally I would click the skull, but this is the 5th game I've played with the guy, so I'm feeling generous. He's been with the site for over 5 years, so it seems unlikely he has quit playing, he's probably just on his summer holidays. Another week mind and the skull is mine!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree