1. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 04:51
    The system here isn't all that complicated. If it is your move, then move. If you don't want to move, go on vacation. If you do not move and you are not on vacation, you can be timed out. The same rules apply to your opponent.

This really isn't rocket science. You guys doing all the whining must lead very charmed lives if this system feels like an injustice is being thrust upon you.

I find it naive, or perhaps just plain stupid, for anyone to just 'decide' that someone else being on vacation means they get to be on vacation as well. I can just imagine this in a real-world environment.

You explain to your boss, "Well, gee, I thought I didn't have to work on any projects because Whatsherface is on vacation. I just assumed I could wait until she got back to work again. I have just been sitting around doing nothing all day as if I was also on vacation. I thought you would be cool with that because with someone on vacation I thought that meant the world stopped turning."

Then you will ask for a raise and a promotion.

The irony here is that some of you will respond with various rationale for why this post is stupid. All the while you are typing you will never grasp the concept that the person responsible for your games is you. Coincidentally that applies to just about everything else in life.
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 05:35
    thank you for explaining that. it clears up everything.
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    16 Aug '07 18:561 edit
    Just ask Dr Strangelove about the vacation system. He will explain everything😉
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 12:31
    Originally posted by adramforall
    While it is your responsibility to manage your games, if you see someone is on holiday for 5 days then I feel it is reasonable to assume that during these 5 days your opponent will not move.

Are people really that desperate to play a few chess moves even when they are meant to be relaxing on holiday or are they just hoping for cheap points?
    Here is one point of view. I am currently "on holiday" in the sense that I'm not at my paid work. I'll be out of the country next week and away from the web completely, but this week I'm still at home and will move when and if I feel like it. You mustn't assume that I won't move. My vacation flag is set and this is purely for my convenience so that I can play if I want, but if I don't want to then I don't have to risk losing a game because I've found something more interesting to do.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 12:56
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    Here is one point of view. I am currently "on holiday" in the sense that I'm not at my paid work. I'll be out of the country next week and away from the web completely, but this week I'm still at home and will move when and if I feel like it. You mustn't assume that I won't move. My vacation flag is set and this is purely for my convenience so that I can p ...[text shortened]... don't have to risk losing a game because I've found something more interesting to do.
    I do the same thing.

Being on holiday doesn't mean I am without internet access - just the possibility that I will be without for an unusual amount of time.

Putting myself on vacation is an insurance policy.

Besides, if one couldn't move while on vacation, just imagine HOW MUCH LONGER GAMES WOULD TAKE!!!!

:-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree