timing out opponent while on holiday?

timing out opponent while on holiday?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d
happy

home

Moves
11 Aug 07
1 edit

Would you concider it rude if a player, while on holiday, timed out his opponent?

d
happy

home

Moves
11 Aug 07

I think, yes

ob

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by dsmfire
Would you concider it rude if a player, while on holiday, timed out his opponent?
If he's on holiday he isn't moving,right?Thus it must be his move.Then how can he flag his oppo?
Unless his oppo went on vacation before him of course.

s

Moves
11 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by ouwe belg
If he's on holiday he isn't moving,right?Thus it must be his move.Then how can he flag his oppo?
Unless his oppo went on vacation before him of course.
You are allowed to move while on holiday.

So you move, and your opponent doesn't and his timenabk runs out.

YOU SKULL THE LOSER!!!!!!!!

A

Moves
11 Aug 07

I am one move away from checkmate and my opponent has decided to take a holiday 😀

ob

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by saffa73
You are allowed to move while on holiday.

So you move, and your opponent doesn't and his timenabk runs out.

YOU SKULL THE LOSER!!!!!!!!
Oh,the site lets you move while in vacation mode?Bit strange but ok.Then I have the question of why go in vacaction mode if you have access to the net and are still able to play?

t

Garner, NC

Moves
11 Aug 07

Oh,the site lets you move while in vacation mode?Bit strange but ok.Then I have the question of why go in vacaction mode if you have access to the net and are still able to play?
Maybe you have 40+ active games and go on holiday. You stop in an Internet cafe, or dial in from your in-laws house (at 1200bps) and perhaps feel like you can make a couple of very easy moves, but can't run through all 40 games.

ob

Moves
11 Aug 07

Originally posted by techsouth
Maybe you have 40+ active games and go on holiday. You stop in an Internet cafe, or dial in from your in-laws house (at 1200bps) and perhaps feel like you can make a couple of very easy moves, but can't run through all 40 games.
Makes sense.
Still find it odd you can just carry on.I thought vacation mode would 'freeze' your games and you could do it for 2 weeks every year,or maybe a month.Guess I was wrong 🙂

a

Moves
12 Aug 07

I just had this... I'm beating someone fairly heavily, and then they go on holiday... so I think I'm safe for a bit (though my timebank is running down...) then I get timed out whilst the holiday symbol is still there... I just think that the holiday thing should work both ways.

STS

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by amjs
I just had this... I'm beating someone fairly heavily, and then they go on holiday... so I think I'm safe for a bit (though my timebank is running down...) then I get timed out whilst the holiday symbol is still there... I just think that the holiday thing should work both ways.
??? Why was your timebank running down??? If it was your move, you should have done so, the vacation flag doesn't prevent you from moving.

A
Dark Matter

Maastricht

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
??? Why was your timebank running down??? If it was your move, you should have done so, the vacation flag doesn't prevent you from moving.
Yeah! Even more interesting: why didn't you move as soon as possible, because even when the vacation flag is on the time bank of the other guy goes down, so it's always a good idea to move as soon as possible. If his time bank runs out you just sit and wait for his flag to go off and then kill the guy!

z

Moves
13 Aug 07

Makes sense.
Still find it odd you can just carry on.I thought vacation mode would 'freeze' your games and you could do it for 2 weeks every year,or maybe a month.Guess I was wrong 🙂
Nope, no freezing. In fact, you continue to lose timebank, you just can't be timed out. Further, I always schedule my RHP holiday one day longer than my actual holiday because I have to move in all of my games before the holiday ends.

a

Moves
15 Aug 07

No - what I meant (though failed miserably to express) was that I moved, noted that my oppo was on holiday, and checked his holiday status... thinking (incorrectly as it turned out) that it was safe to turn in for the night.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
15 Aug 07

Originally posted by amjs
One of the main reasons I object to the holiday time.

While it is your responsibility to manage your games, if you see someone is on holiday for 5 days then I feel it is reasonable to assume that during these 5 days your opponent will not move.

Are people really that desperate to play a few chess moves even when they are meant to be relaxing on holiday or are they just hoping for cheap points?

I think Gameknots idea to have the ability to cancel the vacation immunity where the player is moving is something that should be introduced here.

P

Moves
16 Aug 07

Originally posted by adramforall
One of the main reasons I object to the holiday time.

While it is your responsibility to manage your games, if you see someone is on holiday for 5 days then I feel it is reasonable to assume that during these 5 days your opponent will not move.

Are people really that desperate to play a few chess moves even when they are meant to be relaxing on hol ...[text shortened]... el the vacation immunity where the player is moving is something that should be introduced here.
So make the games take even longer.

Most people complain about people dragging out games when they use their vacation time. This would only cause more games to get lengthened.

I have no problem with people making the occasional moves on vacation. It's not up to the site or anyone to dictate what they are meant to be doing when they are on vacation.

People aren't desperate to play a few chess moves, if they are traveling they might find some time and why shouldn't they be able to do play a few moves?