1. USA
    Moves
    30 May '07 15:28
    I recently purchased Fritz 10, and have been reading the manual. It has all been somewhat confusing for me, so any help, especially with the analysis and the game chart (where fritz graphs the game based on its scores for white and black in a given position) would be appreciated.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 17:561 edit
    Its not that hard. Just click on the help and it has useful functions with pictures. For example to study the openings guide click on the Fritz database and select the English A29 if you are interested in the English opening.

To see the games of Micheal Adams click the search button and then the games come up. Double click on the game, for example Adams-Speelman then Menu > Engine > Infinite Analysis then you can see what Fritz thinks versus what the GMs played. In case Speelman's moves appear to "be funny" look on the opening reference to see the book line.

Some Tips
    - Back up your database/opening books as you will murk them up.
    - Play with the Handicup and Fun levels as those allow you to gain some confidence and beat it from time to time.
    - Your Fritz allows you free access to Playchess for a year. Make use of that to play with humans at your level.
    - Look at some of the training videos by Kasparov.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 May '07 18:44
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I recently purchased Fritz 10, and have been reading the manual. It has all been somewhat confusing for me, so any help, especially with the analysis and the game chart (where fritz graphs the game based on its scores for white and black in a given position) would be appreciated.
    http://www.chessbase.com/support/

Read through those. It's basically the same still.

Yet another rec!

RK
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 May '07 18:51
    Originally posted by RahimK
    http://www.chessbase.com/support/

Read through those. It's basically the same still.

Yet another rec!

RK
    Those notes are for Fritz 8 & 9 while the help which has screenshots is designed like a hand-holding tutor. Which do you prefer?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 May '07 19:001 edit
    Originally posted by z00t
    Those notes are for Fritz 8 & 9 while the help which has screenshots is designed like a hand-holding tutor. Which do you prefer?
    Thinks really haven't changed that much from Fritz 8 to 10.

I read all of them, lots of good stuff in there. But Fritz 10 has a good help file compared to other years, I think.

RK

Edit: Even some of the chessbase features work on fritz. I wish the author would continue with the chessbase articles instead of the new chessbase light ones on chessbase.com.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '07 19:07
    use infinite analysis for your completed correspondence games, and make sure you use multiple variations and try to understand why the first choice is the first choice.
  7. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    31 May '07 14:28
    and the easiest way to import a .pgn file is...? (FYI- I've got fritz 8)
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '07 16:41
    copy the contents of the pgn to clipboard (as in right click -copy), then go to fritz, on the menu: edit- paste - paste game.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '07 16:44
    Originally posted by HeyDreza
    and the easiest way to import a .pgn file is...? (FYI- I've got fritz 8)
    and by the way, excuse me, but I can't understand you people. if you cannot open a pgn file in fritz, what do you have it for anyway? what were you doing with fritz before I gave you very secret information about opening pgns?
  10. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '07 19:01
    you people?? who you calling you people????
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '07 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    you people?? who you calling you people????
    let's keep it calm. you sound like I wrote a racist post or something. I'm calling "you people" those people who don't bother to look around a few mintues, pushing some buttons to investigate how to use the main, elementary features of the programs they have bought. and we were talking about fritz 8 there! it's an old program. (maybe he/she has bought it recently, ok, but that doesn't change my point)

(other than the contents of the post I was reffering to, I don't have the slightest idea or opinon about who the poster was).
  12. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 00:401 edit
    let me answer, since I'm "you people" 🙂 At the risk of boring the @#$% out of anyone reading this, I've got Fritz8 running right now and copy/paste/paste game *does not* insert the .pgn text I have in the clipboard. Just tried, have tried it many times. Chess board with a previous position is displayed, along with the matching notation on the right side box (notation tab selected)...nothing changes.

Shall we try searching help? try "import" or "pgn"...no useful matches or help importing a .pgn file. I have found no useful info in the chessbase archives as well.

I bought Fritz 8 used, first chess app I've ever used, and am quite surprised that what should be basic functionality (here we agree) is so non-intuitive. Although I am not interested in your opinion of my technical skills, if you or anyone running Fritz8 or a relevant version could replicate this issue or suggest a fix, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps it IS me, or should I say, "us"...😉
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 00:56
    let me answer, since I'm "you people" 🙂 At the risk of boring the @#$% out of anyone reading this, I've got Fritz8 running right now and copy/paste/paste game *does not* insert the .pgn text I have in the clipboard. Just tried, have tried it many times. Chess board with a previous position is displayed, along with the matching notation on the right side bo ...[text shortened]... ue or suggest a fix, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps it IS me, or should I say, "us"...😉
    Okay, I'll work you through this. I just fired up my Deep Fritz 8.

Go to one of your rhp games and click on get pgn and then copy it.

Now open Fritz.

Go to Game ->New game or CTRL+N

Then Go to Edit -> Paste ->Paste game or CTRL+V

That should work.

Now are you talking about 1 pgn game or a whole file with lots of games? There is an easy way to view all those also.

RK
  14. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 05:16
    I found the same thing with Fritz...it took me a while to work out how to use some of the features such as sending a .cbv file (which is a compressed file siutable for emailing to someone)...however once over these initial hurdles it's a great program. It's also sometimes tricky for someone to explain how to do something on it because there are two sometimes three different ways of completing each step.

By the way you can also go to The Week in Chess website: http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html and here you can download games from recent GM tournaments in chessbase format (Fritz and Chessbase use the same file formats) and you can play through the games.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 06:41
    let me answer, since I'm "you people" 🙂 At the risk of boring the @#$% out of anyone reading this, I've got Fritz8 running right now and copy/paste/paste game *does not* insert the .pgn text I have in the clipboard. Just tried, have tried it many times. Chess board with a previous position is displayed, along with the matching notation on the right side bo ...[text shortened]... ue or suggest a fix, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps it IS me, or should I say, "us"...😉
    hmm... just to make it clear, you are opening the .pgn file using a text program (notepad would work), then highlighting all the text, copying, then going to fritz and trying to paste it, right?

maybe the pgn text is not in the right format, for example 1.e2-e4 format doesn't work. it should be 1.e4.

if these still don't work then I too don't know where the problem is. just open fritz's database. file/open/database and then choose the pgn file. it's not the easiest way, but at least should work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree