1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 13:17
    Originally posted by ptriple42
    I'm sure this question has been raised before but having not found the debate...
    In 2007 there are some 126 tournaments still in progress,and in 2006 some 20/25.The oldest still in progress started in 19 Nov 03, 6.5 years ago.Quite clearly this is due to some players having a lot of games and so using the full time limits and timebank.I'm playing someone ...[text shortened]... put either on the number of games being played by anyone or the number of tournaments or both.
    How can you moan about slow play when you have only 9 games in progress and of these you have eaten into your timebank in 6 of them? 🙄

This means that you obviously take the full time to move in at least 6 games.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 16:33
    Shouldn't jump to conclusions:I'm forced to be away 2 weeks a month, 1 week at a time and that's when I may eat into the timebank.So I only use my time limits when I'm forced to,not as a habit.Including the jokers that have made silly comments,everybody seems to ignore what I'm going to repeat:all tournaments are Long Hauls here,like postal games, and in my opinion internet chess games should be much faster than that.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 17:41
    Shouldn't jump to conclusions:I'm forced to be away 2 weeks a month, 1 week at a time and that's when I may eat into the timebank.So I only use my time limits when I'm forced to,not as a habit.Including the jokers that have made silly comments,everybody seems to ignore what I'm going to repeat:all tournaments are Long Hauls here,like postal games, and in my opinion internet chess games should be much faster than that.
    In other words, you want the flexibility to be away 2 weeks, but you want to deny your opponent the flexibility to do the same. 😕

And no, not all tournaments here are long hauls. If you really think that, you just haven't put much effort into looking. There are 1/7 tourneys and 1/0 tourneys. That's the only kind I'll play in.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 18:14
    "all tournaments are Long Hauls here,like postal games, and in my opinion internet chess games should be much faster than that"- ptriple42

I don't know what you consider "long haul" but quite frankly your comments and opinions on this are absurd and not based on fact.

For example, I just completed a tournament on March 14th that started on February 20th.
    (TACK 1/0 8 man all in)

I had 133 games in progress. My opponent in the final round had 87 games in progress.

The people with a lot of games are the most frequent and fastest movers here.
    In my first year here I completed 2186 games with 71,211 moves

I am consistantly in the top 10 for most moves for the month.Last month,over 8,000 moves.

Others almost always in the top 10 are,

Zorro the fox- (usually #1 mover) 744 games in progress

atlantean-309 games in progress

Tukumnieks-205 games in progress

AudreyxSophie-184 games in progress

These are only a few examples.

As others have suggested play w/quicker time controls and play a lot more games.
    You get up to 150+ games and you almost always have a game waiting on you not the other way around.
  5. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    How can you moan about slow play when you have only 9 games in progress and of these you have eaten into your timebank in 6 of them? 🙄

This means that you obviously take the full time to move in at least 6 games.
    As stated, you cannot conclude that from the facts. Eating into the timebank could be caused by taking the full amount of time (and more) in just one move, while all other moves are played within a day.

I don't think it is true that only people with a lot of games in progress are holding up tournaments, and even if some of them are guilty, it is not right to punish them all. The only solution is indeed to enter tournament with faster time controls.

That said, I have to agree with you on the fact that sometimes it can be annoying if one takes the full amount of time on each move and when this is caused be game load only . I know one person that has a lot of games, and he manages his game load by taking the full amount of time on each move in each game. In my opinion, with a smaller game load, he could still make the same amount of moves per month, and the games would go faster.

The easy solution to enter tournaments with faster time control is not possible for everybody. If you play normally within 3 days, but there are periods where you (have to or want to) take 4 or 5 days, then you run quickly out of timebank and end up with someone clicking your skull if you enter a tournament with 3-day timeout. So the only option is then to enter a tournament with 7-day timeout.

So, in conclusion, enjoy your fast(er) games, and be cool and relaxed about your slow(er) games.

Adje
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 19:28
    Not all tournaments are Long Hauls, i can currently enter 16 tournys that are available to me, 4 are 21 days per move. I make that 25% in total, certainly not all of them as you have rather dramatically claimed.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 00:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I am a slow player. Do I hear any complains about that?

My opponents can do their ultimate complain whenever they can, i.e. skull me out of here. They don't. Why? Because I always keep my promises. If we agree on a 3/7 game, then I play according to this agreement. I never push the limits, I most often plays faster than the agreed times.

But I am a slow player. Complaints, anyone?
    Your credit's good here!
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 13:49
    Originally posted by adje

I don't think it is true that only people with a lot of games in progress are holding up tournaments, and even if some of them are guilty, it is not right to punish them all. The only solution is indeed to enter tournament with faster time controls.

That said, I have to agree with you on the fact that sometimes it can be annoying if one takes the full amount ...[text shortened]... nclusion, enjoy your fast(er) games, and be cool and relaxed about your slow(er) games.

Adje[/b]
    Only the RHP Admin may be able to know if it is the players with heavy loads who are holding up tournaments;you think not I think yes.But there is no intention of punishing anybody,rather to safeguard my chances to play with regularity.As you say,the easy solution is not always possible so then you have to go to the 7-day timeout.But here the problem arises: if everybody used the 7 days only when needed (sickness,work,travel), as was originally intended, (RHP will correct me if I'm wrong) the issue would not arise. But it's the "heavy-loads" who use it systematically,to the detriment of the ones like me. They have all the fun, leaving only a little for us...

There are exceptions to everything and Cassad4 is one of them,a very good player:but check the top 90 "Most active players" and you'll find only 4 or 5 good players there,some 5%. Yes,anybody has a right to play,I know,and they're all wonderful people but - selfish. Chess, unlike marbles, is a serious game and should be played seriously, not by the bucketful - that's my contention. And the rules should be improved 😏
  9. The Smoke
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 17:141 edit
    They have all the fun, leaving only a little for us...
    seriously, I just don't get your point.. you've got just 7 games going at the mo, does not seem like you've exhausted all the options of entering 1/7, 1/0, 3/0 and similar time control tournaments so that you'd now complain about 'being forced' to enter 7/14 etc. just to have the game load up to your 'preferred' * level

I'm fairly certain there will be no changes made to address your concern for it has no grounds whatsoever...

* i.e., the more (with short time controls) the better
  10. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 17:431 edit
    As of right now, I see five tournaments you can enter with very fast time controlls. Whats the problem?

Why don't you go enter Tournament 9537? You'll get plenty of fast games, I promise.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 19:38
    Wake up guys,I need the 3/7 or 7/7 as I've explained extensively before, because from time to time I HAVE to use those time limits. It's the "abuse"(don't start spitting fire,it's in inverted commas...) of those time limits that bother me; I don't like fast games,I'm not a fast thinker like you geniuses😉
  12. The Smoke
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 19:58
    Wake up guys,I need the 3/7 or 7/7 as I've explained extensively before, because from time to time I HAVE to use those time limits. It's the "abuse"(don't start spitting fire,it's in inverted commas...) of those time limits that bother me; I don't like fast games,I'm not a fast thinker like you geniuses😉
    sorry, my friend, but it seems you want people to conform to your way of life, your way of handling games, your way of playing online chess etc. clearly, all the different time controls you get to choose from should satisfy your particular needs... I've got a mixture of 1/7, 3/0 and 7/14 games going, and I do take more time to move in 7/14 just because I can (and not that those games would require more thinking time) and that's been the very purpose of setting these (different) controls, for people to take advantage of them... yeah, you did not say 'abuse' but deep down you do feel like it hence you started this thread.. 😉
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    20 Mar '10 20:10
    I think I understand what you mean. I just don't understand why you say there is abuse, after all this is correspondence chess and if they go over the time limits you can win the game by time out. What you are saying is like saying someone is abusing because they waste their full 1h 30 min in an OTB game. If you have that time you can use it, or waste it, in whichever way you want. I've just started two games were my opponent wasted all his 7 days, plus nearly 14 days of the time bank on the 2nd move! He moved just 4 hours before the limit. I didn't mind. Now he might be in more pressure as he can't waste all that time any more when he needs it.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 07:52
    Orion,I want to play chess! - that's exactly the point I've been trying to make.I don't want wins by timeout,I don't want wins by silly mistakes my opponents make (in both cases because he was over-loaded), I want to win fair and square.

Look at my Tournament final with Helder Octavio, a typical example of what I'm trying to show: games started in December, still on 8th and 9th moves,and he's about to be timed-out.Look at the spikes on his graph and see how his rating crashed a few months ago and is crashing again now.He must be a sick person who, from time to time, is unable to play. Why then take a load of too many games, likely to be forfeited?! Does he gain anything with such approach? I don't,I'm going to win my first tournament with a victory without any pleasure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree