1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    The best chess programs run on the latest, most powerful PC's are now equal to the top human players, and the time when they are unbeatable is only a few years off.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2747

Your prediction is late; it's last year's news. Computers are better. The days when the top GMs can draw a match with the strongest programs running on a notebook computer are behind us.

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    And on top of that he was once rated 3rd or 4th in the world and is never far from the top 10. Very weak indeed.

Look up patzer in the latest dictionaries. You'll find a picture of Adams, no doubt.
  2. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:36
    Good article, but as of now, while the machines may have a positive score against world class players in match play, they can still lose games.
    I'll stand by my first statement, in a few years they will be unbeatable, period, by anybody, and never lose a game....a draw will be the best that can be had , if the human plays perfectly.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 02:28
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Good article, but as of now, while the machines may have a positive score against world class players in match play, they can still lose games.
    I'll stand by my first statement, in a few years they will be unbeatable, period, by anybody, and never lose a game....a draw will be the best that can be had , if the human plays perfectly.
    I agree
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 04:43
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Your prediction is late; it's last year's news. Computers are better. The days when the top GMs can draw a match with the strongest programs running on a notebook computer are behind us.
    In Classical chess yes. In correspondence? Not yet.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 15:54
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    In Classical chess yes. In correspondence? Not yet.
    Of course. Computers are a long way from beating the top experts in correspondence chess. Speed of calculation is no match when a human has three days to check variations. In positional strength, the top class players are way ahead of computers now, and for years to come.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree