1. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 02:261 edit
    Are there any threads discussing this topic? Do top GMs beat top Chess Engines?
  2. girls imaginations
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 03:31
    kasparov-deep blue
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 03:39
    See Hydra vrs. Adams earlier this year.
  4. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 13:52
    Originally posted by zebano
    See Hydra vrs. Adams earlier this year.
    Adams is no where near the strengh to be put in this topic
  5. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 14:25
    Stop writing crap.

My first Google hit for "Michael Adams F.I.D.E." says that his current rating is 2718.

I guess that for you,rated 1400,a 2700+ Gm is weak uh?
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 14:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 15:01
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    Yes, intived to play for the FIDE world championship (8 person double round robin) based on rating.... very weak.
  8. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 16:33
    Rating dont mean much
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Dec '05 20:54
    Rating dont mean much
    How's your record against Kramnik and Topalov? Micky has plus scores against both in his career.
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Dec '05 10:27
    Rating dont mean much
    ok then perhaps you can tell us why you think he is weak?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 10:472 edits
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    ok then perhaps you can tell us why you think he is weak?
    ive never been a fan of adams but he is very strong. however, didnt topalov in the first half of San Luis achieve a score comparable to hydra vs. adams? not too mention adams was one of the weakest players in that tournament so topalov if anything had tougher competition. Topalov achieved 6.5/7 against seven different 2700+ GMs. I think that it is unfair to look at Hydras thrashing of adams without looking at Topalov's thrashing of players of similar calibre. its also unfair to take one short match (adams hydra), and claim the downfall of the GM based on that.

edit: i think thats what was meant by saying adams wasnt of the strength to be considered, he is not the human champion and should not be compared to the computer champion.
  12. USA
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 23:15
    Kasparov vs. Deep Blue, hmmmmm. Have you guys seen the movie Game over, Kasporov vs. deep blue. Though Kasparov did lose, there were many suspicious circumstances. Also, I wonder why IBM denied a rematch. Watch Game Over. It is a very illuminating movie. Though Comps are much better in brute force calculating, they are about equal. Take deep blue junior and kramnik, who is current world champ(or at least the most recent I think) it wwas a draw. Comps can't reconginize which variations to are useful as wellas humans so they spend time calculating redundant variations. I think humans are more powerful but are too psychologically weak. We will really see decisive victories from comps over humans in the next decade. For now, I think they are equal.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 16:52
    PAH! You couldn't be more wrong!! Kasparov thought Adams to be a 'positional wizard'. Kaspa didn't hand out compliments like that to many players.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 21:49
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    PAH! You couldn't be more wrong!! Kasparov thought Adams to be a 'positional wizard'. Kaspa didn't hand out compliments like that to many players.
    5.5/14 at san luis with no wins!
    all im saying is that if we talk about hydra the computer champion, then we should compare it to the human champion, not adams who got half of topalov's score at san luis. maybe also kramnik would do well againt the computer since he had the nerves of steel to break kasparov. but adams is simply no match for hydra as we all saw and not in the top 5 strongest players in the world.
  15. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 00:41
    The best chess programs run on the latest, most powerful PC's are now equal to the top human players, and the time when they are unbeatable is only a few years off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree