1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 03:12
    Originally posted by leestatic
    Lasker gets my vote
    In 1894 he became the second World Chess Champion by defeating Steinitz with 10 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. He maintained this title for 27 years, the longest unbroken tenure of any officially recognised World Champion of chess.
    Tell that to Carl Schlechter.
  2. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Tell that to Carl Schlechter.
    you got his email address?

Edit: The public after the match decided to call it a "world championship match". However there is little evidence to believe that Lasker would want to risk his world title on a short 10 game match. Thirty games were originally proposed, but this was reduced to 10 because of a lack of funds.
  3. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 04:04
    Originally posted by seraphimvulture
    Which brings upon the question... could there be such a thing as a illiterate, mentally-handicapped GM? Rain Man anyone?
    Though its only a work of fiction, in the book Forrest Gump, Gump makes it to the final match of becoming chess champion. He would have won, but was disqualified for cutting a loud fart. I don't if something like this could/would ever happen, but its an interesting part of that story.
  4. Joined
    08 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 06:59
    Mmmm ... a bit subjective this! You can't really compare Maradonna with Pele or Mozart with Beethoven or the courageous Red Rum with the legend Arkle.

... probably Kasparov - stings like a bee and gets bashed by a chessboard!
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 07:221 edit
    Originally posted by leestatic
    Lasker gets my vote
    In 1894 he became the second World Chess Champion by defeating Steinitz with 10 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. He maintained this title for 27 years, the longest unbroken tenure of any officially recognised World Champion of chess.
    Lasker also ducked his main rivals. Capablanca’s recorded for going undefeated is more impressive in my opinion.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 08:09
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Lasker also ducked his main rivals. Capablanca’s recorded for going undefeated is more impressive in my opinion.
    I believe I just read somewhere that Morphy was also undefeated. Beyond that aside, I heard someone opine recently that Fischer had the most natural talent, and Kasparov was in actual practice the best player.
  7. back in business
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 09:53
    Paul Morphy wasnt a GM.
  8. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 11:20
    Which brings upon the question... could there be such a thing as a illiterate, mentally-handicapped GM? Rain Man anyone?
    I think Fischer is about two radio broadcasts from convincing me he's retarded.
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 13:31
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    He's already convinced me. That said, the games I like to study are Capa's, Paul Keres and Bronstein. 2 of those were never world champion but...
  10. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 13:32
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    He's not retarded - just bonkers.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 13:441 edit
    It depends although in rain man it was simply maths + memory but chess is far more complex then that. I guess you could have but has anyone ever got really good at chess from playing it and nothing else? no reading about it, no studying past games.

It also depends on your definition of mentally handicapped as you could see someone who has very poor social skills but good in most other aspects for example maths sciences maybe even painting or other creative skills. Not knowing them you may well think they are mentally handicapped.

" Gotta get my boxer shorts at K-Mart."
  12. RED DEER
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 16:45
    Originally posted by lausey
    Unlike me who plays crap but still loves the game. 🙂
    HOOORA!!!!!
  13. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 21:26
    Look at Rubenstein. He was a crazed lunatic and he played the best endgame by even today's standards. Some of his rook endings still look like witchcraft, said Lev Alburt.
  14. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 03:06
    Seraphimvulture has a good question: Any Rainmen chessplayers out there? There is such a thing as an idiot savant, people who can play the piano or do complicated math problems, who are otherwise retarded. Since chess is close to music and math, why not? There is a story about the great 1800's player Paulsen who, while playing a tournament, wasn't satisfied with his hotel accommodations. After searching around the town for some time, he finally found one to his satisfaction. When he tried to check in, the concierge asked him, "Why would you want to rent two rooms next to each other, Herr Paulsen?"
  15. Joined
    25 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 06:53
    Originally posted by powershaker
    There's no doubt that Bobby Fischer is the greatest match player of all time. The greatest grandmaster? I'd have to say these are the ONLY ten who could claim that status throughout the entire history of the game: Alekhine, Capablanca, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Morphy, Lasker, Steinitz, Philidor, Tal, Botvinnik, Euwe and Smyslov. I'd have to say ...[text shortened]... I like the good old days when they didn't get paid crap but played for the love of the game. 🙂
    you didnt mention Harry Nelson Pillsbury.😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree