1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 00:24
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    oh....well umm....i'm more into bands like "Cannibal corpse"...."Hatebreed"..."Dying fetus" so....i dunno about .."I am the warrior".....

on another note...to eliminate cheating.....

All tournaments are 5 minute games....each board is a sensor board to record the moves.....the man who can come up with tactics faster wins....

we all go to the ...[text shortened]... e "real" tactics...

I may wake up tomorrow and regret saying it...but its an idea.
    Well, I did mention that I hated that song 😉 I never got into Cannibal Corpse. I went to a Carcass concert a long time ago though - they were ok. I'm more into (old) Metallica, Ministry - that kind of stuff.

I think speed might eliminate cheating, but it would also eliminate some of the quality of the tournament too and I think it might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 00:301 edit
    I grew up on metallica...ministry is still cool....

as for the quality of blitz becoming the "norm" for all tournaments.....

yes...the moves may be "not the best"...but Chess is (in a way) related to war...and we don't get to sit and think during war....you react quickly....and adapt.

also...when I see fighters go at it...i think about Chess....attack...counter atack...etc...

So...instead of Chess being the best openings and best moves....it becomes....."The best man with the quickest mind"

The Chess peices are just a medium for the minds to go to war....I say...speed up that war....eliminate cheating.....and praise the men who react quick under pressure.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 01:121 edit
    oh....well umm....i'm more into bands like "Cannibal corpse"...."Hatebreed"..."Dying fetus" so....i dunno about .."I am the warrior".....

on another note...to eliminate cheating.....

All tournaments are 5 minute games....each board is a sensor board to record the moves.....the man who can come up with tactics faster wins....

we all go to the ...[text shortened]... e "real" tactics...

I may wake up tomorrow and regret saying it...but its an idea.
    I think you're going to wake up tomorrow and regret saying it. 😉 5-minute chess doesn't allow enough time for people to calculate out the deeper tactics and combinations that most people associate with high quality chess.

But on the plus side, you could hold an entire world championship match in one day, haha.
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 01:15
    i allready regret it..
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 01:20
    it has to be 10 minute chess. not 5 minute.
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 21:39
    Chess has turned to crap in the last 20 years. My USCF CC rating was near 2000 when I realized at least half my opponents were using whatever programs were available at the time, so in disgust I withdrew from my tmts. and didn’t play again for about 15 years. I figured to give it another try a couple years ago. It still seems like an awful lot of my opponents over 2000 are receiving assistance. In fact one 2265 has a lone N vs. my a, f, g & h Pawns. Heck, a 1400 could beat Kasparov from the position. This guy sends me one move every 10-14 days and has been dragging the game out for months. Bah! Humbug! I’m tired of CC chess and I then read stuff like this…it’s starting to happen in otb tmts, too. Where will it end? I think I’m tired of chess.
  7. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 22:36
    it started when you could win big money at tournaments.....i'd still play even if they took money the prize money away.
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 11:42
    it started when you could win big money at tournaments.....i'd still play even if they took money the prize money away.
    You’re right. And probably a rare bird these days! I wonder how many masters would show up for a prize fund of $100, $50 & $25. Class players would mill around the table that held a couple trophies & books hoping they could win one. There weren’t any accelerated pairings and my 1600 rating earned me a lot of first round pairings (with an automatic loss) against a master or high rated expert. CC chess? The USCF didn’t mess with it. Al Horowitz’ Chess Review (probably the best chess mag ever) ran Golden Knight tmts. My most prized possessions were the lapel pins I got for making it to the finals. There I got to play some great players. I had a draw against the no. 3 ranked US CC player…never mind he made a colossal recording error and had to give me the draw. If I remember he lost 50 rating points and was knocked out of the top ten. A couple times I was paired against opponents who had actually played in the US Champ. (zero points for me). Today most people probably would turn up their nose at such conditions. The very idea of playing just for fun is anathema.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 12:27
    In the UK I would estimate that only between 5 and 10% of active OTB chess players play in at least one tournament in a given season. Most of them just play league chess and perhaps county matches as well. There are no cash prizes to be won in these.

County matches make me laugh - the captain will always plead with me on the phone to play (I'm near the grading limit so if I play it pushes everyone else down a board, giving them a better chance of winning their game) and then as soon as I sit down to play he rushes over to extract a game fee from me (this pays for the refreshments and hire of the venue). Once you factor in petrol money and the cost of six pints to drown my sorrows after another loss it works out quite expensive for a single game of chess with no prospect of any prize money.
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 12:49
    Originally posted by masscat
    You’re right. And probably a rare bird these days! I wonder how many masters would show up for a prize fund of $100, $50 & $25. Class players would mill around the table that held a couple trophies & books hoping they could win one. There weren’t any accelerated pairings and my 1600 rating earned me a lot of first round pairings (with an automatic loss) agai ...[text shortened]... would turn up their nose at such conditions. The very idea of playing just for fun is anathema.
    I disagree. A selected few have a professional relationship with the game and they need to make money from it to keep a roof over their heads. Most people play for fun. Winning a prize is just a bonus that many will never ever receive. Does that stop them from entering and playing tournaments?
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 15:20
    I don’t know. When organizers started offering big class prizes players started coming out of the woodwork. Cut the prize money and watch what happens to attendance. Most players figured to lose money even if they won the tmt. what with travel, hotel, food etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree