Topalov - Kasparov 1996

Topalov - Kasparov 1996

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS

Moves
14 Jul 06

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
14 Jul 06

Maybe it's just me that's wondering why Kasparov traded his queen for a bishop and knight.

SS

Moves
14 Jul 06

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
14 Jul 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I wondered this a while as well but now I think I know why, give me a minute and I'll come back with my thoughts on it..
Maybe it's because of the King+Queen fork if he moves the king, or the attack if the bishop takes the rook.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
14 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070850

Just came accross this game by chance (and much luck) earlier whilst bored at work, has to be the best game I've ever seen! Topalov forces his way into Kasparov's defence in a way that has to be seen to be believed. What a wizard!!
Have you seen their other great game? This one is quite famous - try to take a guess at white's move 24 before it is actually played.

Garry Kasparov vs Veselin Topalov, Wijk aan Zee (Netherlands) 1999

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1011478

(Edit: This game ranks second in chessgames.com's "games most frequently found in our users Games Collections" only behind D Byrne vs Fischer, 1956)

SS

Moves
14 Jul 06
2 edits

SS

Moves
14 Jul 06
1 edit

e

Moves
14 Jul 06

That really is just incredible! I wonder if those knight moves were really sound.

c

Moves
15 Jul 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
That really is just incredible! I wonder if those knight moves were really sound.
Hrm, forget the knight moves just out that rook sac 🙂. Although 24...Kb6 is better for black.

e

Moves
15 Jul 06

WOW, I ran the first game through an engine to see if Topalov's game was really sound. Surprisingly, not errors were found. Despite how incredible those knight moves are, there really were no threats from black.

S

Moves
15 Jul 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
WOW, I ran the first game through an engine to see if Topalov's game was really sound. Surprisingly, not errors were found. Despite how incredible those knight moves are, there really were no threats from black.
Try lowering the threshold...

G

Moves
15 Jul 06

Awesome games!I knew the 2nd game but not the first one.Those knights,thats's just.... 😲

D

Bristol

Moves
15 Jul 06

Dunno why someone the standard of Kasparov would play 21. ..Rxg6 just amazes me. hxg6 leads to a better game for black but I think Topalov looked in a good position either-way but Rxg6 did cost him big time.

28. Rfd1? Puts the game wide open again costing him rook for bishop. Rd3 or Qa4 seemed perfectly good moves to me.

30. Qf5? Another shocker from Topalov. Lets Kasparov right back into the game. Why not just take the free bait with Qxb7?

And then pretty much goes on to be Topalovs advantage until 50. Qb8+ signals game over.

V

Moves
16 Jul 06

Originally posted by Dursley8
>> "hxg6 leads to a better game for Black"

I've looked at this with computer analysis and I don't see how?! Rxg6 looks to be the best move. Both give White the better game.

>> "30. Qf5? Another shocker from Topalov. Lets Kasparov right back into the game. Why not just take the free bait with Qxb7? "

My guess is that Topalov is "playing for two results" here, whereas Qxb7 is slightly riskier. I wonder what the time control was.. maybe by move 30 Topalov was short of time?! In a real game/tournament situation, some moves are practically better than others, even if objectively they are not best.