Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Jun '10 14:33
    The FIDE list for may shows Toppy one point behind Carlsen but does not seem to count the recent wc match with Anand. When will the corrected ratings come out?
  2. 07 Jun '10 14:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The FIDE list for may shows Toppy one point behind Carlsen but does not seem to count the recent wc match with Anand. When will the corrected ratings come out?
    There is a live rating list where you can see the current (inofficial) ratings: http://chess.liverating.org/
    The next FIDE list is due in July, I think.
  3. 07 Jun '10 18:22
    Are FIDE ratings handed out like candy? Nearly 40 guys above 2700 on http://chess.liverating.org/
  4. 07 Jun '10 19:33
    I agree Enrico these guys just play each other all the time so
    you get these silly numbers.

    Some people are fascinated by grades and think the number is
    actually an IQ rating.
    It means they are good at a game. Nothing else. Simply good at a game.

    Jealousy?

    I'd like to be as good as these guys but I would not like to be one
    of these guys.
    They are all ugly for a kick off and they all look so miserable.

    enrico20 is graded 2735.

    There you are mate.

    Now you can honestly tell all your friends that you have a grade of 2735
    on an Offical Chess playing site.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Jun '10 07:32
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I agree Enrico these guys just play each other all the time so
    you get these silly numbers.

    Some people are fascinated by grades and think the number is
    actually an IQ rating.
    It means they are good at a game. Nothing else. Simply good at a game.

    Jealousy?

    I'd like to be as good as these guys but I would not like to be one
    of these guys.
    ...[text shortened]... honestly tell all your friends that you have a grade of 2735
    on an Offical Chess playing site.
    Especially considering none of those blokes can beat any of the top programs with even a single CPU computer, must be an ego bruise for those dudes who consider themselves geniuses.
  6. 08 Jun '10 09:56
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I'd like to be as good as these guys but I would not like to be one
    of these guys.
    They are all ugly for a kick off and they all look so miserable.
    Odd. They sound like perfect candidates for a heavy metal band.

    I wonder if there is some connection between the two?
  7. 08 Jun '10 12:27
    From http://chess.eusa.ed.ac.uk/Chess/Trivia/AlltimeList.html

    1970 FIDE rating list. Top 7 players

    1 Fischer Robert James.............. USA 2720
    2-3 Spassky, Boris.................... URS 2670
    Kortchnoi, Viktor................. URS 2670
    4-5 Geller, Efim...................... URS 2660
    Keres, Paul....................... URS 2660
    6-7 Larsen, Bent...................... DEN 2650
    Petrosian, Tigran................. URS 2650

    2600 in the 1970s was very strong perhaps what 2750 in todays rating is.
  8. 08 Jun '10 12:53
    hello all..
    can you solve this ??
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=%22Mate_in_3%22_can_you_solve_this%3F&threadid=130888
  9. 08 Jun '10 13:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Especially considering none of those blokes can beat any of the top programs with even a single CPU computer, must be an ego bruise for those dudes who consider themselves geniuses.
    The GM's I know seem to shrug their shoulders and look upon
    them as a weight lifter would look at a forklift truck.

    Most use them as tool for opening prep.

    Some as a lazy way of supplying game notes (and getting paid for it).

    Here I fear they are using the forklift truck to do their lifting for them.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    08 Jun '10 14:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The GM's I know seem to shrug their shoulders and look upon
    them as a weight lifter would look at a forklift truck.

    Most use them as tool for opening prep.

    Some as a lazy way of supplying game notes (and getting paid for it).

    Here I fear they are using the forklift truck to do their lifting for them.
    I guess if you have a ton of notes, you need a forklift, eh
    So you know GM's, eh. That's nice. Do you ever ask them what they think is the best in the way of books?
  11. 08 Jun '10 15:15
    Originally posted by ChessBase
    There is a FIDE regulation that states that any player with a rating of 2700 or higher can issue a challenge for a match of 12 games for the World Championship title against the incumbent World Champion. Condition: the challenger's side has to provide the prize fund of one million dollars. Now Silvio Danailov, the manager of former FIDE world champion Veselin Topalov has issued the challenge.
    I can't find the FIDE page but it seems a player rated over 2700 can challenge for the world title by raising the one million dollar prize-fund. All one of those 40 guys need to do is to find a rich benefactor and they can challenge Anand.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3542
  12. 08 Jun '10 18:35 / 2 edits
    Hi Sonhouse,

    I hob-nob will all the GM's. All I've met and shared pints with are
    perfectly approachable and good fun.

    When we wrote Rampant Chess we included a Questionaire instead
    of a boring introduction.

    These were the GM replies:
    (they were not allowed to nominate a book they wrote)

    the comments in () are mine.

    Jacob Aagaard:

    Favourite Book: 'Learn from the Legends' Mihail Marin,
    Imagination in Chess by Gaprindashvili, San Luis 2005 by Gershon & Nor.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:
    Understanding Chess Tactics - Martin Weteschik.

    (After I finished The Corner I thought I'd write a good book on tactics.
    Then I saw this - Understanding Chess Tactics - no point, I could not top that.)

    ----

    Keti Arakhamia-Grant:

    Favourite Book: Bronstein's Zurich 1953,
    Vogon Ataki (Into the Fire of the Attack) by Tal and Damsky.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:

    My System by Nimzovitvh.

    (This may raise a eyebrow and may be considered too heavy but forget
    that messy English 1934 poorly translated version.

    On the contininent this book is highly rated and is correctly laid out.)

    ----
    Paul Motwani:

    Favourite Book:

    The Quickest Victories of all Time by Graham Burgess, It's Only Me, Tony Miles,
    Oxford Companion of Chess - Hooper and Whyld.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:

    The Quickest Victories of all Time by Graham Burgess and he added.
    "tons of handy, sneaky ideas, tricks and traps."

    (I've often said in here I learned every tactical trick I know from
    200 miniatures by Du Mont.
    These books are great for hammering in the opening principles and
    spotting shots.)

    -----

    Jonathan Rowson:

    Favourite Book:

    Postional Play by Dvoretsky & Yusopov, The Road to Chess Improvement
    by Yermolinsky, Secrets of Spectacular chess by Levitt and Friedgoos.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:

    Rapid Chess Improvement by De La Maza is worth a look.

    ----

    John Shaw:

    Rook Endings by Smyslov and Levenfish, Simple Chess by Stean.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:

    Simple Chess by Stean - a great introduction to positional chess.

    ----

    Ian McNab:

    Favourite Book:

    Fischer's 60 and Solving in Style by John Nunn.

    Recommend a book for an under 1400 player:

    Build up your Chess by Yusopov

    ----

    These were not the only questions, favourite non chess book,
    favourite band etc..

    I was wanting favourite cartoon character and best joke they know
    but misery guts Ruxton poured water on that one.

    If you buy...sorry, When You Buy...Rampant Chess you get your own
    blank questionnaire to fill in.

    Here is John Watson's recent review of Rampant Chess

    (I only found out about this a few weeks ago).

    The authors asked 13 Scottish GMs and IMs to send 5 games,
    without notes, for the authors to annotate.

    Most of the games were sent with notes anyway, so the authors pitched
    the notes and started in on their own! No respect for authority.

    As annotators, Chandler and Ruxton explicitly value fun above truth
    (not that they sacrifice the latter, exactly), so most of the notes are verbal,
    and usually silly.

    As far as I can see, their analysis is perfectly good;
    but if a long variation is required, they often prefer to insert a joke.

    Somehow it works, partly because the games are so entertaining.

    But also because Chandler and Ruxton are having such a good time
    making fun of everybody (and themselves) that they don't lose perspective,
    treating the games lightly while making sure to hit the important points and get
    them right.

    This is a great read with some terrific chess content.

    John Watson

    --------------------------

    Here endeth the plug.
  13. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Jun '10 01:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Sonhouse,

    I hob-nob will all the GM's. All I've met and shared pints with are
    perfectly approachable and good fun.

    When we wrote Rampant Chess we included a Questionaire instead
    of a boring introduction.

    These were the GM replies:
    (they were not allowed to nominate a book they wrote)

    the comments in () are mine.

    Jacob Aagaard:

    Fa s content.

    John Watson

    --------------------------

    Here endeth the plug.
    Hey, thanks! I would like to tip a pint or two with you someday! So here I am, my USCF is about the same as my RHP, weirdly enough So someone around 1680-1750, what two books would you rec out of that bunch? Which of those books have you studied?
  14. 11 Jun '10 01:56 / 1 edit
    Hi.

    The Quickest Victories of all Time by Graham Burgess
    and Simple Chess by Stean.

    One will give you loads of tactical shots,traps and ideas, the other will
    guide you if your opponent gets out of the opening alive.

    I do not have The Quickest Victories of all Time but I have 9/10 other
    well read books of the same ilk, including 444 Russian miniatures
    which has some wonderful unknown gems in it. Totally inspiring.

    You don't need an endgame book.
    If you are in an ending then something has gone wrong.
    You have not read first two books correctly.
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Jun '10 02:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi.

    [b]The Quickest Victories of all Time
    by Graham Burgess
    and Simple Chess by Stean.

    One will give you loads of tactical shots,traps and ideas, the other will
    guide you if your opponent gets out of the opening alive.

    I do not have The Quickest Victories of all Time but I have 9/10 other
    well read books of the same ilk, including ...[text shortened]... e in an ending then something has gone wrong.
    You have not read first two books correctly. [/b]
    On your word, I found them on Amazon, 27 bucks for the two of them, free shipping. Thanks, will be studying them for sure! So you say I will zoom up to 2200 in no time, right?