They are all ugly for a kick off and they all look so miserable.[/b]
    I dunno man, a few jars and a little encouragement...we're only human 😛
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 21:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Especially considering none of those blokes can beat any of the top programs with even a single CPU computer, must be an ego bruise for those dudes who consider themselves geniuses.
    Ummm, i think Anand demonstrated a style during the WC that would pose a computer problems! Carlsen also has hit on a style (especially with white) where he doesn't seek a 'typical advantage' out of the opening but rather plays for solid positional middle games. I'd really like to see him play Hydra in say, a 6 game match. I think he has spent his entire career using computers where as the other top GM's (Anand, Kramnik, Topalov...) have grown up with the traditional 'bits of wood on a board' analysis.

In fact i'd even go further, Carlsen and Giri (in particular) look to me to be exploring a new style of play altogether! We've had our prophylactic/hyper modern schools of the past, i think the advent of super GM strength computer programs has forced human players to explore styles that, perhaps aren't as direct and tactical as they'd like, but never the less dodge their opponents home silicon preparation. Mark my words, there will be a name for this soon.... 😉
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 16:24
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Ummm, i think Anand demonstrated a style during the WC that would pose a computer problems! Carlsen also has hit on a style (especially with white) where he doesn't seek a 'typical advantage' out of the opening but rather plays for solid positional middle games. I'd really like to see him play Hydra in say, a 6 game match. I think he has spent his entire ...[text shortened]... ts home silicon preparation. Mark my words, there will be a name for this soon.... 😉
    I've always felt the advent of computers would bootstrap up the playing strength of the top players, even middlin ones like us. I thought that during the Kasparov V Deep blue era, and see it continuing today. But I still think the brute force advantage of PC's will make them stronger because the CPU power of computers is still rising.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree