Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Cityblue
    Moonchester
    15 Dec '06 13:01
    In case anyone is interested, Topolov has used a FIDE rule to challenge Kramnik for the world championship...

FIDE rules state that any 2700+ rated player can challenge for the world chapionship in a 12 game match, as long as he can put the neccessary funding in place....

This funding has been located, and the challenge has been formally issued to FIDE, asking for a match in Sofia in April 2007....

We await to see what FIDE/Kramnik say in response......
  2. 15 Dec '06 13:31
    Yummie, a 12-match replay of last championship. This would be very interesting. I wonder if Kramnik is willing to participate!
  3. 15 Dec '06 13:41
    You have any URLs where this is reported?
  4. Standard member Cityblue
    Moonchester
    15 Dec '06 13:44
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3542

I don't think that Kramnik has any option without forfeiting the world title - although in the world of chess, nothing would surprise me anymore
  5. 15 Dec '06 13:44 / 1 edit
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3542

edit: oops too late
  6. Standard member onyx2006
    onyx2007
    15 Dec '06 13:47
    the whole idea of topalov funding and issuing a challenge is IMO move the most tactical chess move I've seen in a while.
  7. 15 Dec '06 14:13
    Interesting, I wouldn't mind a rematch if they can avoid another scandal. That said, how will this work with the Mexico 2007 championship - especially if Topalov wins (being champion is how Kramnik qualified)?
  8. 15 Dec '06 14:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    In case anyone is interested, Topolov has used a FIDE rule to challenge Kramnik for the world championship...

FIDE rules state that any 2700+ rated player can challenge for the world chapionship in a 12 game match, as long as he can put the neccessary funding in place....

This funding has been located, and the challenge has been formally issued to FID ...[text shortened]... or a match in Sofia in April 2007....

We await to see what FIDE/Kramnik say in response......
    I hope that he behaves himself this time, I didn't really have an opinion of him before the last match in which he disgraced himself against Krammy. No matter how good he is at chess I think as a man he is a joke, it should be about chess not petty cry-baby accusations of cheating because things aren't going your way.
  9. 15 Dec '06 14:58
    Originally posted by zebano
    Interesting, I wouldn't mind a rematch if they can avoid another scandal. That said, how will this work with the Mexico 2007 championship - especially if Topalov wins (being champion is how Kramnik qualified)?
    they should delay Mexico for 2008 maybe...
  10. 15 Dec '06 15:03
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Thats a bad idea simply because I'm sure the city is already making plans and it would be a shame to waste that goodwill.
  11. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    15 Dec '06 15:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Mexico, as exciting as it will be, is a terrible idea. The world championship should be decided in a match.

Wisdom decrees that Mexico be cancelled in order to shedule the Topalov-Kramnik rematch at an appropriate time approximately one year after the reunification. Alas, wisdom is next to non-existent among the FIDE leadership.
  12. 15 Dec '06 15:15
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Mexico, as exciting as it will be, is a terrible idea. The world championship should be decided in a match.

Wisdom decrees that Mexico be cancelled in order to shedule the Topalov-Kramnik rematch at an appropriate time approximately one year after the reunification. Alas, wisdom is ext to non-existent among the FIDE leadership.
    I completely agree, and it appears that Kramnik has given in too.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3540

Is this the end of match play?
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    15 Dec '06 15:23
    Originally posted by zebano
    I completely agree, and it appears that Kramnik has given in too.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3540

Is this the end of match play?
    FIDE promises a series of matches to determine qualifiers 5-8 for Mexico. The paucity of information regarding the dates and locations of these matches indicates the difficulties FIDE faces in organizing their next fiasco.