1. Standard memberKirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    Hauxton
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 13:23
    At 5am this morning I won probably the most shallow and meaningless victory ever.

In the first round of this tournament there were a number of close fought games and things were getting interesting. Then several of my opponents stopped playing and I won a number on time.

In the final I was being steadily outplayed by a couple of my opponents who then just stopped moving and I won on time. Then another player became booged down with work and resigned all his games.

This morning I won my final game (also on time)

I suppose a win is a win but I don't feel particularly proud of myself.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 13:25
    Congrats on your first tournament victory.

Go have a beer.🙄
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 13:34
    Originally posted by zebano
    Congrats on your first tournament victory.

Go have a beer.🙄
    check his rating, he's quite strong (about a FM strength), so this is probably NOT his first tournament victory...
  4. Standard memberKirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    Hauxton
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 15:48
    Originally posted by vipiu
    check his rating, he's quite strong (about a FM strength), so this is probably NOT his first tournament victory...
    My rating is between 1900 and 2000.

It has jumped due to the number of default wins!
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:06
    Originally posted by Kirwan
    At 5am this morning I won probably the most shallow and meaningless victory ever.

In the first round of this tournament there were a number of close fought games and things were getting interesting. Then several of my opponents stopped playing and I won a number on time.

In the final I was being steadily outplayed by a couple of my opponents who then ju ...[text shortened]... game (also on time)

I suppose a win is a win but I don't feel particularly proud of myself.
    Kirwan, in the last round, you totally outplayed me in both of our games and I had resigned the game as Black in any case; my other resignations came shortly after. I'm glad I had the opportunity to bring my King out to the 5th rank before I resigned. 🙂 You had all the winning chances in the game in which I was white.

yes2man resigned all of his games, but you beat everybody else!

Perhaps the quality of play for the most part in the tournament wasn't very high. 😕

Congratulations on your tournament win (and the T-Shirt). 🙂
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Dec '06 19:102 edits
    Originally posted by vipiu
    If you look at his profile under the section titled "Tournament Victories" you will see that it is.

Edit 1 - other rating systems cannot be compared to RHP ratings. He may be FM strength, but you cannot make that estimation based on his RHP rating.

Edit 2 - Seriously. Winning any tournament where you aren't significantly better than the competion (i.e. a 1500 getting into a

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree