1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:011 edit
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    1. b4 g6 2. Bb2 Nf6 works for me. I have a game currently on another site where I am managing to hold someone rated 600 points higher than me despite being daft enough to play g6 in response to 1. b4. Nigel Davies used g6 as his only black defence when seeking GM norms, Petrosian used it when he wanted to win as black. I use it because I am lazy!
    1.b3 g6 2.Bb2 Nf6 3.g4!? and black can kiss his bishop goodbye. i myself play 1...g6 all the time, for the same reason as you, especially in blitz. 🙂
  2. gumtree
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    1.b3 g6 2.Bb2 Nf6 3.g4!? and black can kiss his bishop goodbye. i myself play 1...g6 all the time, for the same reason as you, especially in blitz. 🙂
    1. b3 g6 2 Bb2 Nf6 3. g4 Bg7. The bishop looks surprisingly healthy for a dead cleric. Even if white now continues with 4. g5 Nh5 all that happens is the two dark square bishops come off. Black hasn't castled yet so whether or not his king's position is weakened has not yet been decided! I might even castle queenside here just to annoy white. I reckon white's best is 4. Bg2 when he is saddled with two misshapen fianchettoes.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:54
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    1. b3 g6 2 Bb2 Nf6 3. g4 Bg7. The bishop looks surprisingly healthy for a dead cleric. Even if white now continues with 4. g5 Nh5 all that happens is the two dark square bishops come off. Black hasn't castled yet so whether or not his king's position is weakened has not yet been decided! I might even castle queenside here just to annoy white. I reckon white's best is 4. Bg2 when he is saddled with two misshapen fianchettoes.
    mmm, how vewy vewy intwesting Mr.Bond, it does seem that black can 'get away with it', even after 1.b3, 2.b4 🙂
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 16:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mmm, how vewy vewy intwesting Mr.Bond, it does seem that black can 'get away with it', even after 1.b3, 2.b4 🙂
    Yup, I'm living proof of that.
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 21:31
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    [pgn]1.c3 f5 2.h3 Nf6 3.g4 fxg4 4.hxg4 Nxg4 5.Qc2 Nf6 6.Rxh7 Rxh7 Qg6[/pgn]
    Why not just use the Lennigrad Dutch here?

1.c3 f5 2.h3 g6

Whoever plays Nxg4 just deserves to lose. Hopefully those people arent reading this thread so I can us that against them
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 02:10
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    Why not just use the Lennigrad Dutch here?

1.c3 f5 2.h3 g6

Whoever plays Nxg4 just deserves to lose. Hopefully those people arent reading this thread so I can us that against them
    I intentionall avoided mentioning the Leningrad Dutch in my previous post because there are some pretty good lines for white that incorporate c3. It's part of my repertoire, but I would leave that club in the bag against c3 (just IMHO- if someone favors facing the c3 lines, they might go for it).

Paul
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '10 04:44
    Originally posted by Meadows
    Yeah, I think "capitalise" was a poor choice on my part. As soon as the thread was made I figured it probably should have been transposition v refutation.
    I don't think anyone would try transposing to anything if they could simply refute the move. I don't think that word means what you think it does
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 09:09
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I intentionall avoided mentioning the Leningrad Dutch in my previous post because there are some pretty good lines for white that incorporate c3.
    Im curious: What is your opinion of the Birds Opening: Lenningrad variation?

1.f4 d4 2.g3

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree