1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 20:37
    You are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a pirate ship and you are to be punished for beating Capt. Blackbeard in chess. His gentleman qualities dictate that he not cut your throat but to drop you on an uninhabited island. He gives you a choice of guards. One is 400 rating above you and is rude and will not teach at all. The other is 400 rating below you and is friendly but mildly retarded (he won't learn what you teach him). Who do you choose?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 20:48
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    You are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a pirate ship and you are to be punished for beating Capt. Blackbeard in chess. His gentleman qualities dictate that he not cut your throat but to drop you on an uninhabited island. He gives you a choice of guards. One is 400 rating above you and is rude and will not teach at all. The other is 400 rati ...[text shortened]... you and is friendly but mildly retarded (he won't learn what you teach him). Who do you choose?
    The less intelligent one. He will be a less effective guard.
  3. e4
    Moves
    12 Jun '10 23:15
    The Rude one.

"Will not teach at all."

Captain Blackbeard's real name Edward 'Teach.'
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '10 00:49
    The pleasant one. Because anyway, the ignorants will teach you more than you may expect.
  5. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 00:03
    The simpleton.

You can give him a complex position and while he's trying to figure it out you can build a raft and escape.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 03:02
    The dumb, nice one. Because sometimes you won't be playing chess, and the other guy is a dick.
  7. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 03:04
    OK forget the scenario about escaping. A more pointed question is would you rather play someone 400 below that can't learn or someone 400 above that wont teach?
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 03:08
    OK forget the scenario about escaping. A more pointed question is would you rather play someone 400 below that can't learn or someone 400 above that wont teach?
    Is one of them a hot female?
  9. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 06:34
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Is one of them a hot female?
    That would be useful. But assuming no hot females, I would prefer to have the guy 400 points above me, as I would be able to learn from playing even if he won't "teach" me.
  10. Joined
    31 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 12:541 edit
    I thought the chess analogy was supposed to imply that one wouldn't be escaping? In which case, i'll have the blonde who thinks that a bishop is a bodily organ.
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 14:18
    Originally posted by Sever
    I thought the chess analogy was supposed to imply that one wouldn't be escaping? In which case, i'll have the blonde who thinks that a bishop is a bodily organ.
    Some of the retards in this forum thought it was a question of how to best escape.
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 16:32
    The thought processes of a dumb person:

"I'm stranded on an island, how shall I escape?"

The thought processes of a smart person:

"I'm stranded on an island. The most important thing I can possibly do now is resolve a dilemma about chess tutelage!"
  13. e4
    Moves
    14 Jun '10 17:44
    It has to be the rude one.

He is 400 points above you.

You have beaten Blackbeard, so you can safely guess that Mr Rude
    has also beaten Blackbeard sometime in the past.

Infact Blackbeard's ship 'Queen Anne's Revenge' ran an annual chess tournament.

So there is an excellent chance sometime in his past Mr Rude will also
    have been marooned by Cap'n Blackbeard. So this lad will have some
    experience on how to survive on a remote island.....and escaped!

I notice that The Cheshire Cat claims the object is not to escape
    but I've read Robinson Crusoe and he puts increasing his
    chess strength as a very low priority when marroned on a desert island.
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 23:17
    I would pick the guy who is 400 points higher than me, by playing him I would get better and he wouldn't improve that much.
    Eventually I would be as strong as him and more than likely we would become friends and laugh about how pirates hide their gayness by sailing around doing nothing to contribute to society. I hate gay pirates. I hate straight ones too. Girl Pirates are ok I guess, as long as they keep clean and stuff.
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 02:011 edit
    You are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a pirate ship and you are to be punished for beating Capt. Blackbeard in chess. His gentleman qualities dictate that he not cut your throat but to drop you on an uninhabited island. He gives you a choice of guards. One is 400 rating above you and is rude and will not teach at all. The other is 400 rati ...[text shortened]... you and is friendly but mildly retarded (he won't learn what you teach him). Who do you choose?
    If I wished to improve, I'd take Mr. Rude. I could copy the games and anaylize later. In time I'd be 400 points higher than Mr. Rude. (Of course HE might cut my throat!)😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree