Traxler blows

Traxler blows

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by Northern Lad
Please, please, please, can we forget frigging Fritz. I couldn't give a monkey's *** what's in its opening book. I've said enough times for the dimmest to understand: my comments on the Traxler are not based in any way, shape or form on Fritz or any other engine. Fact is 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bd5 leads to white advantage. Everything else is irrelevant.
Fact is 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bd5 leads to white advantage. Everything else is irrelevant.

Replace word "fact" with "Your (or someone else) Evaluation" and it will sound correct 🙂

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by Kaworukun
Nope leads too an advantage for black. he has more development, and a nice open file for his rook.
Strange that you seem to understand so much more about chess than the rest of us including people up to a thousand rating points higher. Maybe you coach IMs and GMs in your spare time.

To answer your point: yes, black does have more development and a semi-open f-file for his rook. But white is a very solid pawn up, and many decades of theory and practice has shown that this is worth more than black's temporary lead in development.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
Fact is that 1. e4, c5 can lead to a white advantage too!

The advantage after Bxf7+ and Bd5 is so minor that IT is irrelevant..
It certainly not irrelevant at higher levels, where that line of the Traxler scores heavily for white, while 1.e4 c5 scores about 53%. Must mean something.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
15 Dec 07

Strange that you seem to understand so much more about chess than the rest of us including people up to a thousand rating points higher. Maybe you coach IMs and GMs in your spare time.

To answer your point: yes, black does have more development and a semi-open f-file for his rook. But white is a very solid pawn up, and many decades of theory and practice has shown that this is worth more than black's temporary lead in development.
I suppose that, since it is an uncommon opening, you always have a reasonable chance against an unprepared white player as black - especially if you know roughly what you want to achieve in the middlegame and white is just playing to hold onto his pawn.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Korch
[b]Fact is 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bd5 leads to white advantage. Everything else is irrelevant.

Replace word "fact" with "Your (or someone else) Evaluation" and it will sound correct 🙂[/b]
By 'fact' I suppose I mean the generally accepted evaluation of theory. I used to play the Traxler myself back in the 70s but eventually gave it up when I reluctantly had to accept (this is over 30 years ago) that the line 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bd5 is favourable for white. There have been lots of theory and practice on the Traxler since then, including it seems 800 hours of power engine analysis, but essentially nothing has changed to alter the assessment.

I have said before that at lower levels (say below 2000) the Traxler may be perfectly playable. I have also admitted that you can't entirely rule out the possibility of an improvement (or reassessment) for black somewhere in that line. However, my very strong feeling is that if such existed, it would have been found by now. What appears incontrovertible to me is that in the existing theory of that line of the Traxler, black's compensation is inadequate, not just objectively (the same might apply to the Marshall or Benko) but in terms of practical chances.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
I suppose that, since it is an uncommon opening, you always have a reasonable chance against an unprepared white player as black - especially if you know roughly what you want to achieve in the middlegame and white is just playing to hold onto his pawn.
I agree with that. I certainly wouldn't play 4.Ng5 OTB without having something pretty convincing prepared against the Traxler (and understanding the right way to play it).

K

London

Moves
15 Dec 07

Coming from the person who just looked at the position with an engine. Against another human I will take black my son.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by Kaworukun
Coming from the person who just looked at the position with an engine. Against another human I will take black my son.
I don't understand your post. Do you mean me? To the best of my recollection, I have never looked at the Traxler with an engine.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
15 Dec 07

Northern Lad, why not post a longer line to prove it? Saying the line after Bxf7+ Ke7 Bd5 is good for white means nothing. That's like saying 9. 0-0-0 is good for White in the Dragon (Yugoslav). That's where the theory starts, and there are bunches of tries for both sides! Your posts hold no value if you just strut around in here (figuratively of course) saying things like, "Sorry guys, Bxf7+ is better for White!".

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
Northern Lad, why not post a longer line to prove it? Saying the line after Bxf7+ Ke7 Bd5 is good for white means nothing. That's like saying 9. 0-0-0 is good for White in the Dragon (Yugoslav). That's where the theory starts, and there are bunches of tries for both sides! Your posts hold no value if you just strut around in here (figuratively of course) saying things like, "Sorry guys, Bxf7+ is better for White!".
I'm just saying that that is the almost unanimous verdict of theory (and has been for decades) and is the main reason why very few strong players play the Traxler. It's up to aficianados of the Traxler to come up with improvements. I'd certainly be prepared to comment on any offered.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Alberto David is clearly one GM who decided the Traxler wasn't up to it...(he never played it again)

Howell,J (2525) - David,A (2465) [C57]
Groningen op Groningen, 1995

1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 e5 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bb3 Qe8 7.0-0 Rf8 8.Nc3 d6 9.Nd5+ Kd8 10.c3 h6 11.d4 exd4 12.Nxf6 Rxf6 13.e5 Rf5 14.Nf3 Nxe5 15.Nxd4 Rf6 16.Be3 Ng4 17.Re1 Nxe3 18.Rxe3 Qf8 19.Qe2 c6 20.Re1 Bd7 21.Be6 Bxd4 22.cxd4 Bxe6 23.Rxe6 Rxe6 24.Qxe6 Rc8 25.Re3 Kc7 26.Rf3 1-0

So maybe 6.Bb3 is also sufficient to gain white some advantage.

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
15 Dec 07

Why is 5. Nxf7 such a bad continuation for white after 4...Bc5?
I usuall play Nxf7 straight after 4...d5 and have a great record with it so don't see why I really shouldn't play it after Bc5 :~

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
15 Dec 07

Alberto David is clearly one GM who decided the Traxler wasn't up to it...(he never played it again)

Howell,J (2525) - David,A (2465) [C57]
Groningen op Groningen, 1995

1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 e5 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Bc5 5.Bxf7+ Ke7 6.Bb3 Qe8 7.0-0 Rf8 8.Nc3 d6 9.Nd5+ Kd8 10.c3 h6 11.d4 exd4 12.Nxf6 Rxf6 13.e5 Rf5 14.Nf3 Nxe5 15.Nxd4 Rf6 16.Be3 Ng4 17.Re1 Nxe3 ...[text shortened]... e6 Rc8 25.Re3 Kc7 26.Rf3 1-0

So maybe 6.Bb3 is also sufficient to gain white some advantage.
Why 6..Qe8 and not 6..Rf8? You know the rook is going to f8, but it's not so clear that the Queen should be on e8. I don't actually like Black's play in the opening at all in that game. Also, instead of 14..Nxe5, after 14..dxe5, I would have no qualms with playing the Black side. You still haven't posted a line. I could name a bunch of openings that theory "frowns on" today, that are probably still fine, and just victims of fashion or other reasons.

NL

Moves
15 Dec 07

Originally posted by HurricaneConway125
Why is 5. Nxf7 such a bad continuation for white after 4...Bc5?
I usuall play Nxf7 straight after 4...d5 and have a great record with it so don't see why I really shouldn't play it after Bc5 :~
After 5.Nxf7 Bxf2+ leads to wild complications that are probably OK for black. It's certainly what Traxler players are hoping for. I should know, I was one myself once!

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
15 Dec 07

After 5.Nxf7 Bxf2+ leads to wild complications that are probably OK for black. It's certainly what Traxler players are hoping for. I should know, I was one myself once!
I'm doing alright in a game i'm playing at the moment after that continuation i.e. I am leading by a rook a piece and a pawn with my knight still trapped on h8
won't post the game because it is still in progress but I will once it has finished