1. Joined
    13 Dec '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 00:49
    Any Tromp players out there? I have been thinking about adding it to my rep in order to cut out all the benko, benoni and budapest heavy learners in my club. Any advice to a new Tromp player?
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 01:52
    Odds are your benko, benoni, and budapest players are well prepared for the Tromp since it is going to be the most common deviation. Ignoring for a moment that 2. Nf3 pretty much kills all those systems you might consider something a little more offbeat like the Veresov type stuff with 1. d4 nf6 2. Nc3.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 02:20
    Originally posted by 14th Street Break
    Any Tromp players out there? I have been thinking about adding it to my rep in order to cut out all the benko, benoni and budapest heavy learners in my club. Any advice to a new Tromp player?
    No but I play the guitar 😕
  4. Joined
    13 Dec '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '11 15:55
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Odds are your benko, benoni, and budapest players are well prepared for the Tromp since it is going to be the most common deviation. Ignoring for a moment that 2. Nf3 pretty much kills all those systems you might consider something a little more offbeat like the Veresov type stuff with 1. d4 nf6 2. Nc3.
    Nimzo: You make a very good point. I'm not expecting my fellow clubbers to be taken aback by my early Bg5 play but I do expect to be less surprised by their moves by playing the Tromp. I was very interested by that Nf3 idea though, I might have to try it out. Was that your way of not recommending I play it?
  5. Joined
    11 Aug '11
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:06
    I'd personally recommend taking the time to prepare for the very openings you're trying to avoid! 'Unusual' (bordering on obsolete at the 2700+ level) openings are nothing to be scared of!

At the same time, there is a lot of theory to learn in these 'offbeat' mainlines. If you have limited time/motivation for preparation, the Tromp is a great choice. You won't find yourself surprising your opponent, but quite often you'll find yourself far more familiar with the resulting positions.

Depending on your level, a book or two, and/or a chessbase DVD on the Tromp could be more than enough to promise good results with relatively minimal effort.

Oh and before I post this I should digress slightly. The Benoni is occasionally seen in long games at the superGM level. The other two (Benko, Budapest) seldom show up in even rapid games.

Good luck with the Tromp
    -nmmn
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 13:21
    14th - I don't believe in "avoiding" other people's prep unless they have proven repeatedly they can achieve good positions against you. The flaw in the philosophy of playing an "anti" system like the Tromp, the Alapin etc. is that so many people do that the typical player is better prepared for the "anti" opening than their actual opening.

Example - In a two year period I faced 4 c3 Alapin games for every one actual mainline Sicilian. The result is I devoted most of my study time to positions arising out of the Alapin. I now score better in the Alapin than I do with my mainlines.
  7. Joined
    13 Dec '09
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 14:02
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    14th - I don't believe in "avoiding" other people's prep unless they have proven repeatedly they can achieve good positions against you. The flaw in the philosophy of playing an "anti" system like the Tromp, the Alapin etc. is that so many people do that the typical player is better prepared for the "anti" opening than their actual opening.

Example - In a ...[text shortened]... arising out of the Alapin. I now score better in the Alapin than I do with my mainlines.
    Thanks Guys! I went to my club yesterday and I played Nf3 and it worked out just fine. I think I'll slowly learn the Tromp over the internet and play all my OTB games with 2. nf3. I was trying to learn the Trompowsky not to cut out their theory but the amount of theory I had to learn to keep up with them. Maybe I'd just bite the bullet and learn all this theory if there was a "Raptor Variation" and a "Laser Shark Variation" in the Tromp ZOMG SUPER L33T !!!@!@!@!@!@2121
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 17:06
    Originally posted by 14th Street Break
    The Tromp is a good line, I used to play it when I was an active OTB player. The problem with it was my opponents would almost never play into that line, they would normally transpose into one of the more well known lines of play and all my study would be a waste.
  9. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 19:383 edits
    Chepukaitis vs. computer.

Enjoy...

1-0.

There's an excellent interview and interesting variation with Chepukaitis in the ChessCafe archives:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles205.pdf
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 23:07
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    Chepukaitis vs. computer.

Enjoy...

[pgn][White "Ghepukaitis, Genrikh"] [Black "Computer"] 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Ne4 3. Bh4 g5 4. f3 gxh4 5. fxe4 e5 6. e3 Qg5 7. Kf2 Bh6 8. Qe1 exd4 9. exd4 Qc1 10. Nc3 Qxb2 11. Bd3 Bd2 12. Qxd2 Qxa1 13. Nf3 Qxh1 14. Qg5 c6 15. Qe5+ Kd8 16. Qxh8+ Kc7 17. d5 b6 18. d6+ Kb7 19. Qd8 Na6 20. Bf1 *[/pgn]

1-0.

There's an ...[text shortened]... ith Chepukaitis in the ChessCafe archives:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles205.pdf
    Thank you so much for this post! Chepukaitis was a chess Man among men.

I was first introduced to this chess Icon through GM Tiger Hillarp Person's Tiger's Modern.

This interview is great- it's like one of Greenpawn34's Blogs game to life in the form of a chess player, and walked among us.

Some people are simply gifted with Chess Brilliance, and Mr. Chepukaitis was one of those rare people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree