1. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 14:43
    Originally posted by toda
    Dear Fellow Chess players I really appreciate your comments and thank you all. I shall let the young, vigorous and healthy play this game. i am beginning to have troubled sleeps. I'll get back to my books and piano a much safer environment. Toda.
    Shame.

The K+R+P v K+R ending must have been a draw when it first arose but I think you went a bit wrong - not too surprising given that these endings can be much more difficult than you'd think if you're unfamiliar with them.

I hope you don't stop playing chess - it's a difficult and frustrating game sure but that's what makes it fun.
  2. Big D
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 15:55
    Originally posted by toda
    What do I do with two pig headed chess player. I have offered my opponent a stalemate and he has rejected it. I am White with a king and a rook. He is Black with a king, rook and a pawn. We have been dancing around the chess board with no sign of a solution. Please give your advice to Toda. Thank You.
    It is improper for the weaker side to offer the stronger side a stalemate. Since he has the material advantage, you should wait for him to make the offer of a stalemate first.
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 15:56
    Been searching (unsucesfully) for a decent site to teach rook/pawn/king vs. rook/king endgames. Anyone know any?
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 16:22
    Now that the game's over -

Toda, in case you're still checking the thread, the drawing idea for you was to try to maneuver into the Philidor position for rook and pawn versus rook. Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philidor_position
  5. Big D
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 17:35
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Been searching (unsucesfully) for a decent site to teach rook/pawn/king vs. rook/king endgames. Anyone know any?
    I don't know any sites that cover this material, however, the material covered in the classic book by Smylov and Levenfish, "Rook Endings," will help anyone improve their game.
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 18:39
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philidor_position[/b]
    Thanks for the link Mad Rook. I hadn't seen that wiki page before.

Also:-
    59. Kg3 forces a drawn king and pawn ending straightaway does it not?
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 18:57
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Thanks for the link Mad Rook. I hadn't seen that wiki page before.

Also:-
    59. Kg3 forces a drawn king and pawn ending straightaway does it not?
    You're welcome!

And yes, I believe 59.Kg3 does force a draw.
  8. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 19:32
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I don't know any sites that cover this material, however, the material covered in the classic book by Smylov and Levenfish, "Rook Endings," will help anyone improve their game.
    Cool, thanks.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 20:15
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    It is improper for the weaker side to offer the stronger side a stalemate. Since he has the material advantage, you should wait for him to make the offer of a stalemate first.
    There are lots of book draws where extra material is not sufficient to win. In that case, the 'advantage' is illusory and there is nothing wrong with offering a draw.

Also, it is common for higher rated players to offer a draw to lower rated players if the higher rated player realizes he is getting into trouble. In that case, the lower rated player may accept due to lack of faith in his ability to realize his advantage against a stronger player.
  10. Earth
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 20:49
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    I`m glad someone pointed that out 🙁
    Me too 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree