Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 18 Nov '07 03:58
  2. 18 Nov '07 04:06
    What do I do with two pig headed chess player. I have offered my opponent a stalemate and he has rejected it. I am White with a king and a rook. He is Black with a king, rook and a pawn. We have been dancing around the chess board with no sign of a solution. Please give your advice to Toda. Thank You.
  3. 18 Nov '07 04:12
    Originally posted by toda
    What do I do with two pig headed chess player. I have offered my opponent a stalemate and he has rejected it. I am White with a king and a rook. He is Black with a king, rook and a pawn. We have been dancing around the chess board with no sign of a solution. Please give your advice to Toda. Thank You.
    You've offered him a stalemate? That's unusual.
  4. 18 Nov '07 04:17 / 1 edit
    You keep playing like you normally would...that is all you can do.
  5. 18 Nov '07 04:24
    You wait until you reach 50 moves without a pawn move or capture (a.k.a. 100 half-moves), then you use the 'Claim Draw' button.
  6. 18 Nov '07 04:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by incandenza
    You wait until you reach 50 moves without a pawn move or capture (a.k.a. 100 half-moves), then you use the 'Claim Draw' button.
    or a three-fold repetition of position.
  7. 18 Nov '07 04:26
    It's a game in progress and you haven't been dancing around for more than 2 moves. If you want to draw then do it and stop whining. If you don't know how to then spend some time practicing. Good Luck
  8. 18 Nov '07 13:19
    Black is not being pig headed. You cannot offer a player stalemate. You can offer a player a draw. It is entirely up to your opponent if he accepts it or not, unless you force one within the rules of the game.
    In this case, whilst I will not comment on the specifics of the position, it is you who should be grateful if you secure a draw. And if I was black, accepting your offer would not be a consideration.
  9. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    18 Nov '07 13:41
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Black is not being pig headed ....
    I would agree that Black is not being pigheaded.

I've had a quick look at the game in question and although I don't claim to be an expert on rook and pawn endings I'd say you've yet to demonstrate a clear draw.

I could be more specific than that but I can't work out a way of saying it without potentially affected a game in progress.

Anyway, as Black is a pawn up he has no incentive to take a draw at this stage - regardless of the objective evaluation of the position.
  10. 18 Nov '07 13:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Why did you accept the checkmate?
  11. 18 Nov '07 15:12
    This thread is an insult to pigs everywhere!!!
  12. 18 Nov '07 16:37
    Dear Fellow Chess players I really appreciate your comments and thank you all. I shall let the young, vigorous and healthy play this game. i am beginning to have troubled sleeps. I'll get back to my books and piano a much safer environment. Toda.
  13. 18 Nov '07 16:47
    Dear Fellow Chess players I really appreciate your comments and thank you all. I shall let the young, vigorous and healthy play this game. i am beginning to have troubled sleeps. I'll get back to my books and piano a much safer environment. Toda.
    Hey, it's only a game! Have fun with it, and don't let yourself get stressed out. If you enjoy playing, keep going!
  14. 19 Nov '07 13:56
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    This thread is an insult to pigs everywhere!!!
    I`m glad someone pointed that out
  15. Standard member JonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    19 Nov '07 14:43
    Shame.

The K+R+P v K+R ending must have been a draw when it first arose but I think you went a bit wrong - not too surprising given that these endings can be much more difficult than you'd think if you're unfamiliar with them.

I hope you don't stop playing chess - it's a difficult and frustrating game sure but that's what makes it fun.