1. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    17 Aug '12 19:41
    Hi all,

I just started using ubuntu 12.04 and am having trouble getting the "eboard" program to work with fics. I thought I'd post here because the community has been helpful in the past.

So here is what happens: I start eboard, and connect to fics. I can chat and get a game. But when my 5 min game starts, the clocks display unlimited time. I make a move on eboard and the opponent cannot make their move.

I do not have timeseal configured but have heard you can play without it. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    24 Aug '12 09:331 edit
    Originally posted by emperor31
    Hi all,

I just started using ubuntu 12.04 and am having trouble getting the "eboard" program to work with fics. I thought I'd post here because the community has been helpful in the past.

So here is what happens: I start eboard, and connect to fics. I can chat and get a game. But when my 5 min game starts, the clocks display unlimited time. I mak ...[text shortened]... configured but have heard you can play without it. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance
    I suggest using the windows equivalent through WINE, it's not ideal but it should work. Probably not the answer you wanted but I suppose it's better than no answer... 🙂
  3. Joined
    17 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '12 19:57
    Installed from synaptic package manager on ubuntu 12.04:

- eboard-extras-pack1 ver 2-3
    - eboard ver 1.1.1-5ubuntu1

2 games played as guest @ FICS and the program work fine.

Cheers
    -tng
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 22:48
    Thanks for responding.

I installed both the program and the extras package using the package manager but the behavior described above
    "So here is what happens: I start eboard, and connect to fics. I can chat and get a game. But when my 5 min game starts, the clocks display unlimited time. I make a move on eboard and the opponent cannot make their move." Still happens. Not sure why. Any suggestions?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 03:52
    Thanks for responding.

I installed both the program and the extras package using the package manager but the behavior described above
    "So here is what happens: I start eboard, and connect to fics. I can chat and get a game. But when my 5 min game starts, the clocks display unlimited time. I make a move on eboard and the opponent cannot make their move." Still happens. Not sure why. Any suggestions?
    I am not familiar with this, but I suppose this is a program you downloaded.
    I would uninstall it and download it again and reinstall to see if that works.
    Sometimes the download is messed up or gets messed up in downloading or something goes wrong when installing it. Make sure that it is supposed to work on the computer system you are using.
  6. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 07:57
    Hmmm I suppose you could try an uninstall and reinstall however it is more likely that you have an issue. Did you upgrade to 12.04 or was it a clean install? Have you tried the latest upgrade... I think 12.04.1 is available. Other than this I would suggest a forum with greater linux experience who might be able to get you some code.

Try www.majorgeeks.com for a start

In the meantime maybe try an alternative interface, the available ones are listed here:
    http://www.freechess.org/cgi-bin/Download/FICS_Download_Interface.cgi
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 06:27
    Thanks all. I've been running Babas under wine.

Will post to Major Geeks when time permits. Thank you again.
  8. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 10:58
    Thanks all. I've been running Babas under wine.

Will post to Major Geeks when time permits. Thank you again.
    Just because you said that made me think of something, I'm not eactly sure what it is... As far as I remember Babas changes some settings which affect you when using eboard... so even if you used babas in windows then try and use eboard in Ubuntu...

Found the thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1087585.html

There you go, happy code hunting!
  9. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    28 Aug '12 11:11
    I suggest switching to Jin, it works pretty well as an interface

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree