1. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 12:55
    Mainly thanks to some chessville articles I'm fast developing an interest in the more weird and wonderful openings in the world of chess.

Anyone know of a good book or website?
    Please not Schiller's book.I read a brief review of it by the late Tony Miles.

Thanks.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 13:14
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    weird and wonderful openings in the world of chess.
    Usually these two don't get along with each other in chess 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 13:44
    Mainly thanks to some chessville articles I'm fast developing an interest in the more weird and wonderful openings in the world of chess.

Anyone know of a good book or website?

Thanks.
    Boris Altermans Gambit Guide on the ICC
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 15:50
    There's an Unorthodox Chess Openings Yahoo group here:
    http://games.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/UnorthodoxChessOpenings/

There's also a quarterly newsletter. Archives are here:
    http://www.asigc.it/teoria/uon/uon.htm

I think some of the stuff is a bit too wacky for CC chess though.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:321 edit
    Schiller's book on the unorthodox openings is far better than his one on regular openings.

🙂
  6. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 20:04
    Originally posted by sylvander
    There's an Unorthodox Chess Openings Yahoo group here:
    http://games.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/UnorthodoxChessOpenings/

There's also a quarterly newsletter. Archives are here:
    http://www.asigc.it/teoria/uon/uon.htm

I think some of the stuff is a bit too wacky for CC chess though.
    Excellent!

Thanks 🙂
  7. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 00:561 edit

Thanks.
    I think the long and detailed review by Miles was more about the subject matter than the book itself.

If you buy a book on unorthodox openings, you gotta expect a lot of dross inside.

As far as opening books go, I'd rate it as average. In saying that, it does contain a lot of errors and typos typical of a "production line chess writer".
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 01:34
    Originally posted by peacedog
    I think the long and detailed review by Miles was more about the subject matter than the book itself.
    In saying that, he must have like the unorthodox to a certain extent, Miles did play 1. e4 a6 2. d4 b5 as black against Karpov and went on to win! If thats not Unorthodox I don't know what is
  9. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 01:58
    Originally posted by randomsac
    In saying that, he must have like the unorthodox to a certain extent, Miles did play 1. e4 a6 2. d4 b5 as black against Karpov and went on to win! If thats not Unorthodox I don't know what is
    I also remember him playing 1 g4 v McNab in the Commonwealth Champs around 1990(I think).
  10. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 14:36
    I always thought,and still think,he meant the handling of the subject not the subject itself.

What I know about Miles I got from chess magazines (interviews,articles where he's mentioned,tourney reports) so I can't say for sure but he didn't strike me as one to object to a,let's say,'original' approach to opening a chessgame.
  11. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 14:46
    Have you looked at the chesscafe.com website? There is a series of articles by Stefan Bucher on some unorthodox openings, that's written with creativity and responsibility. Suggesting a systematic guide is harder. After all it makes less sense to study 'unorthodox openings' in general, and more sense to concentrate on a few unorthodox lines and try to make them viable.
  12. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 23:26
    I always thought,and still think,he meant the handling of the subject not the subject itself.

What I know about Miles I got from chess magazines (interviews,articles where he's mentioned,tourney reports) so I can't say for sure but he didn't strike me as one to object to a,let's say,'original' approach to opening a chessgame.
    Perhaps your right.

Its a pitty Miles didn't write any books(as far as I know). His magazine articles and tourny reports were always a good read.
  13. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 23:56
    Originally posted by peacedog
    Perhaps your right.

Its a pitty Miles didn't write any books(as far as I know). His magazine articles and tourny reports were always a good read.
    Truely a pitty,I bet it would've been a great read.

There is 'It's only me',a book about him as you probably know but I'll mention it just in case 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree