1. e4
    Moves
    19 Mar '19 23:42

My prediction and reasons why for the 2019 USA Chess Championship.

A good old fashioned rant about chess books. This week Endgame books.

A cool Sam Loyd study that an RHP game transposed into.

Blog Post 418
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 10:29
    @greenpawn34

I have to disagree with you on one thing, Geoff. There is one more end game fact one should know: the difference between the good and the bad bishop with an edge pawn.
    I once watched someone trying to win with the bad bishop. It was very amusing for a few minutes until we disabused him.
  3. e4
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 11:18
    Hi Shallow-Blue.

Although the whole thing is slightly tongue in cheek, a good
    Bishop v bad Bishop will eventually turn into a won pawn ending.
    Then all you need is very basic KP v K knowledge. Is it a win, is it a draw.

My theory is the less you know about the ending the better. That way you fear
    going into one, this will make you play the middle game like a desperado.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 11:332 edits
    @greenpawn34 said
    Although the whole thing is slightly tongue in cheek, a good
    Bishop v bad Bishop will eventually turn into a won pawn ending.
    Then all you need is very basic KP v K knowledge. Is it a win, is it a draw.
    Ah, I think that's a different ending. I meant the one where you already have an edge pawn, the defending king in front of it (otherwise it's won anyway) and either the bishop on the colour of the promotion square, or the other one. IOW, either this:

which draws, or this:

which wins. Not knowing the difference means you swap off the wrong light piece.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree