1. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 01:44
    The dispute seemed rather boring and drawn-out to me, much like a theoretically won Q+p vs. Q's ending that Polgar tried to play out
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 03:451 edit
    It would tedious and a bit comical if it wasn't my federation. Goichberg has been running the best tournaments around for ages, and Polgar has been a good promoter for scholastic and women's chess.

Scholastic chess isn't getting kids to play past about the age they can drive a car and get alcohol from their older siblings, and a typical weekend tournament (where you can find one) is 50% bobby fischer era gray hairs and 50% pre teens playing up two sections because their parents think it will improve their chance at college entrance.

sad but as it stands, to be competent in chess in the US means to know how the knight moves.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 04:28
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It would tedious and a bit comical if it wasn't my federation. Goichberg has been running the best tournaments around for ages, and Polgar has been a good promoter for scholastic and women's chess.

Scholastic chess isn't getting kids to play past about the age they can drive a car and get alcohol from their older siblings, and a typical weekend tournament ...[text shortened]...
    sad but as it stands, to be competent in chess in the US means to know how the knight moves.
    really, how a knight could move, wow, there is no telling what i might achieve!

i read this rather sad account of a lower rated player, she was stating that her membership fee, plus the tournament entry fee was more than the prize money she could hope to win for her class, something like a measly fifty bucks!, so even if she won, she would still make a loss, hardly and incentive is it?
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:57
    except for the biggest tournaments I always assume the prizes will be about half the posted amount.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree