1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 03:45
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF is still running business like it's 1972 and Bobby Fischer is still the King of Chess. If the USCF does not use all the tools of the internet like they should, there survival is very much in doubt.

-bill718...a former USCF member 😏
  2. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 03:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF i ...[text shortened]... hould, there survival is very much in doubt.

You didn't like the Free ICC membership that came with their membership?
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 08:33
    Originally posted by erikido
    You didn't like the Free ICC membership that came with their membership?
    A free ICC membership is a start, but a chess playing site like this one is what's needed.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 09:241 edit
    A free ICC membership is a start, but a chess playing site like this one is what's needed.
    I read another posters comments stating that membership has rapidly declined, why is this the case? you would think that with the popularity of pc games that it should go up? Just goes to show what a huge contribution the King of Chess, R.J.Fischer made! I know how fond you are of him Bill 😉
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 12:43
    USCF is expensive and you get nothing in return other than lame articles and ra-ra-ra garbage or the occasional clevage shot of Jennifer Shahade. You can get the same information for free at many other places. Indeed if they opened up a RHP style site to go with the memebership they might survive.
  6. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 13:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    USCF is expensive and you get nothing in return other than lame articles and ra-ra-ra garbage or the occasional clevage shot of Jennifer Shahade. You can get the same information for free at many other places. Indeed if they opened up a RHP style site to go with the memebership they might survive.
    I think the problem is that its based to much around scholastic chess clubs.
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 13:53
    You can play online at ICC.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 15:50
    You can play chess at alot of sites. I think that's great. You don't have to join some organization just to find challenging chess players. You can find them on line. If you like the site, you can join the site. Why pay extra unless you want an official rating and play for money?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can play chess at alot of sites. I think that's great. You don't have to join some organization just to find challenging chess players. You can find them on line. If you like the site, you can join the site. Why pay extra unless you want an official rating and play for money?
    I'm in the USCF and intend to stay with it despite its flaws. Online chess is a poor imitation of OTB and is inundated with cheats and frauds.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:19
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF i ...[text shortened]... hould, there survival is very much in doubt.

There's about 1200 players competing in the World Open this weekend in Philly. Pretty good for a "dying" organization.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:31
    I was just making the point that now there are other options.
  12. washington
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 16:42
    uscf is only a part of the dying part of chess. Chess is on the rapid decline due to the fact that it does not have instant gratification just like everything else now that kids are growing up with. Chess will decline no matter how good the organization does. Chess may survive, but the substitutes for entertainment has vastly changed in the last 50 years, has it not?
  13. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    05 Jul '09 19:47
    Chess isn't dying elsewhere in the world. In the US & the UK, it's struggling at the moment. But in India certainly, Turkey too, & China also, the game is flourishing.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 05:33
    If only the USCF can find a way to stop the Sloans, Polgars, and Truongs from suing it to death, it might live a bit longer. 😕
  15. back in business
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 07:44
    Chess is dying for a reason. Chess is inferior non-sport. It is played by nerds who are too fat to pursue real sports.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree