Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    05 Jul '09 03:45
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF is still running business like it's 1972 and Bobby Fischer is still the King of Chess. If the USCF does not use all the tools of the internet like they should, there survival is very much in doubt.

    -bill718...a former USCF member
  2. 05 Jul '09 03:55
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF i ...[text shortened]... hould, there survival is very much in doubt.

    -bill718...a former USCF member
    You didn't like the Free ICC membership that came with their membership?
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    05 Jul '09 08:33
    Originally posted by erikido
    You didn't like the Free ICC membership that came with their membership?
    A free ICC membership is a start, but a chess playing site like this one is what's needed.
  4. 05 Jul '09 09:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    A free ICC membership is a start, but a chess playing site like this one is what's needed.
    I read another posters comments stating that membership has rapidly declined, why is this the case? you would think that with the popularity of pc games that it should go up? Just goes to show what a huge contribution the King of Chess, R.J.Fischer made! I know how fond you are of him Bill
  5. 05 Jul '09 12:43
    USCF is expensive and you get nothing in return other than lame articles and ra-ra-ra garbage or the occasional clevage shot of Jennifer Shahade. You can get the same information for free at many other places. Indeed if they opened up a RHP style site to go with the memebership they might survive.
  6. 05 Jul '09 13:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    USCF is expensive and you get nothing in return other than lame articles and ra-ra-ra garbage or the occasional clevage shot of Jennifer Shahade. You can get the same information for free at many other places. Indeed if they opened up a RHP style site to go with the memebership they might survive.
    I think the problem is that its based to much around scholastic chess clubs.
  7. 05 Jul '09 13:53
    Originally posted by bill718
    A free ICC membership is a start, but a chess playing site like this one is what's needed.
    You can play online at ICC.
  8. 05 Jul '09 15:50
    You can play chess at alot of sites. I think that's great. You don't have to join some organization just to find challenging chess players. You can find them on line. If you like the site, you can join the site. Why pay extra unless you want an official rating and play for money?
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    05 Jul '09 16:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can play chess at alot of sites. I think that's great. You don't have to join some organization just to find challenging chess players. You can find them on line. If you like the site, you can join the site. Why pay extra unless you want an official rating and play for money?
    I'm in the USCF and intend to stay with it despite its flaws. Online chess is a poor imitation of OTB and is inundated with cheats and frauds.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    05 Jul '09 16:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sorry to say the the United States Chess Federation is slowly dying, and why? The USCF will not adapt to modern times. If the USCF would open up a chess playing website like Red Hot Pawn, with equal or better features, there membership would expand greatly. Internet Correspondence Chess has exploded in popularity in the last 15 years, however the USCF i ...[text shortened]... hould, there survival is very much in doubt.

    -bill718...a former USCF member
    There's about 1200 players competing in the World Open this weekend in Philly. Pretty good for a "dying" organization.
  11. 05 Jul '09 16:31
    I was just making the point that now there are other options.
  12. 05 Jul '09 16:42
    uscf is only a part of the dying part of chess. Chess is on the rapid decline due to the fact that it does not have instant gratification just like everything else now that kids are growing up with. Chess will decline no matter how good the organization does. Chess may survive, but the substitutes for entertainment has vastly changed in the last 50 years, has it not?
  13. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    05 Jul '09 19:47
    Chess isn't dying elsewhere in the world. In the US & the UK, it's struggling at the moment. But in India certainly, Turkey too, & China also, the game is flourishing.
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 Jul '09 05:33
    If only the USCF can find a way to stop the Sloans, Polgars, and Truongs from suing it to death, it might live a bit longer.
  15. 06 Jul '09 07:44
    Chess is dying for a reason. Chess is inferior non-sport. It is played by nerds who are too fat to pursue real sports.