Useful Rooks

Useful Rooks

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by philidor position
OK get yourself ready, here comes your answer:

"Whenever you have to make a rook move and both rooks are available for said move- you should evaluate which rook to move and, once you have made up your mind, move the other one". Vasily Panov.

now how to make your mind up in the first place, that you have to find out for yourself ...[text shortened]... ntage. Which one is it? 20. Rfd1 or 20.Rad1 ?

I played the wrong move and eventually lost.
This is what I'm looking for answers to. This game seems obvious. For me its the next couple moves after a castle.

rc

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
This is what I'm looking for answers to. This game seems obvious. For me its the next couple moves after a castle.
if i may be as bold, can i suggest to try to look for open and half open files, or files that are likely to become open/half open files! also files that use pawn levers, (pawns used to break open the position), its usually good to put a rook behind one of these that you intend to push.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
if i may be as bold, can i suggest to try to look for open and half open files, or files that are likely to become open/half open files! also files that use pawn levers, (pawns used to break open the position), its usually good to put a rook behind one of these that you intend to push.
Yea, I got that far. Lately I've been blitzing and I pause when I try to figure what rook to move. Even during cc there are times when I feel I could flip a coin to choose. In blitz I usually try to get the rook out of the corner but the down side is the board feels smaller as I like queen side attack (I play english and sicilian)

rc

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
Yea, I got that far. Lately I've been blitzing and I pause when I try to figure what rook to move. Even during cc there are times when I feel I could flip a coin to choose. In blitz I usually try to get the rook out of the corner but the down side is the board feels smaller as I like queen side attack (I play english and sicilian)
if you play the English and Sicilian there is an instant c file prepared for one rook, although depending on the variation, for if your opponent castles queen side, as in some variations it may be argued that its better to keep a rook on the a file, for the minority attack coming with the pawns on the a and b files.

o
Art is hard

Moves
20 Nov 09

"Whenever you have to make a rook move and both rooks are available for said move- you should evaluate which rook to move and, once you have made up your mind, move the other one". Vasily Panov.

now how to make your mind up in the first place, that you have to find out for yourself ...[text shortened]... ntage. Which one is it? 20. Rfd1 or 20.Rad1 ?

here is another position, where playing the wrong rook to the e-file (white to move), will clearly end in trouble.

my oponent played Rhe1, and promptly this position followed (after 16. Rhe1 f4 17.Bd2 Bf6 18. g3 Bxd4 19. gxf4 gxf4 20. Ne2 Be5 21. d4 Bc7 22. f3 Rae8):

were white has no power to avoid letting black's h-rook in on the g-file, causing havoc in white's defense (unfortunatly I ended up stalemating my oponent)

as robbie says, my oponent didn't look at the files that were going to open, and soon found himself completely tied up.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
I'd rec it 😛😛
Gotta admit it was funny.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Nov 09

You play the a Rook because the f Rook will support the push of the f Pawn.