1. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:32
    In the last year I started to improve my game simply by activating my rooks. I must say thanks to gp34 for that, he looked over some games and pointed out my stagnant rooks. So I make an effort now to get them active, but I have some questions now. Is there a guilding principal as to which rook to send to an open 1/2open file? Should I keep my castled rook in place longer than the other, when I do that I noticed they are easier for bishops to snag.
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:34
    Your Rooks are there to exchange for your opponent's Knights and Bishops, didn't you get the memo?
  3. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 19:011 edit
    what I do, when I have to decide wich rook to play to wich file, is I remove them (mentally from the board) and place them on their ideal spots on the rank. After a while it becomes instinctive.

I don't think there is any specific rule about castled rooks, generally you move the rook that is less active or less well placed, it all depends on the position
  4. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 19:02
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Your Rooks are there to exchange for your opponent's Knights and Bishops, didn't you get the memo?
    no they are not, they are there to move to the 7th rank
  5. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 21:08
    Actually, they are there to help you checkmate the opponent's king and to prevent the opponent from checkmating your king.
  6. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 22:23
    Originally posted by Jasen777
    Actually, they are there to help you checkmate the opponent's king and to prevent the opponent from checkmating your king.
    yes, and so are all other pieces
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 22:43
    Several authors of chess books have noted that one of the earmarks of an improving player is they have their rooks activated before the opponent does. One standard answer to the question. "where do the rooks go?" is "Open files or files soon to be open or if nothing else, the middle files (c-d-e-f) since those are often the first files to be open because in many openings those pawns come into contact quickly and may be exchanged.

Those three answers have one thing in common: open files. Why? Because rooks are at their best in attacking mode and that requires open lines. Also open files provide a way for rooks to get to the 7th rank to attack pawns, box in the enemy King, and in general raise hell in the enemy camp. 🙂
  8. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 22:50
    Chariots are best used to eliminate elephants 😉
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 22:56
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I thought they were ashtrays for my cigarettes.
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I thought they were ashtrays for my cigarettes.
    I'd rec it 😛😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:173 edits
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Is there a guilding principal as to which rook to send to an open 1/2open file? Should I keep my castled rook in place longer than the other, when I do that I noticed they are easier for bishops to snag.
    OK get yourself ready, here comes your answer:

"Whenever you have to make a rook move and both rooks are available for said move- you should evaluate which rook to move and, once you have made up your mind, move the other one". Vasily Panov.

now how to make your mind up in the first place, that you have to find out for yourself. This is all I can offer.

This position occurred in one of my games from like 2 years ago.

Black has just played 19...Rad8. You're a pawn up and you need to play a rook to the d file. One rook move puts white in serious advantage. Which one is it? 20. Rfd1 or 20.Rad1 ?

I played the wrong move and eventually lost.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:381 edit
    Originally posted by philidor position
    OK get yourself ready, here comes your answer:

"Whenever you have to make a rook move and both rooks are available for said move- you should evaluate which rook to move and, once you have made up your mind, move the other one". Vasily Panov.

now how to make your mind up in the first place, that you have to find out for yourself ntage. Which one is it? 20. Rfd1 or 20.Rad1 ?

I played the wrong move and eventually lost.
    Rad1 i think is the move, the f2 pawn just seems a little vulnerable, blacks f rook bearing down on it through the half open file. Is that correct?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:491 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Rad1 i think is the move, the f2 pawn just seems a little vulnerable, blacks f rook bearing down on it through the half open file. Is that correct?
    exactly. the game went on 21.Rfd1 Rd5 and this is where I realized I couldn't exchange the weak pawn with 22.dxc5 because of 22... Bxc5 and now there's just no way to save the f pawn.

I went on to play 21.Ba3 and lost the game due to horrible endgame play.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:57
    Originally posted by philidor position
    exactly. the game went on 21.Rfd1 Rd5 and this is where I realized I couldn't exchange the weak pawn with 22.dxc5 because of 22... Bxc5 and now there's just no way to save the f pawn.

I went on to play 21.Ba3 and lost the game due to horrible endgame play.
    ok, a very insightful game, i love positional ideas such as these, any-more from your own games?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 00:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok, a very insightful game, i love positional ideas such as these, any-more from your own games?
    um, not on this theme I think, at least I don't remember any.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree