1. Toronto
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 18:421 edit
    What is the policy here for using opening books and databases to assist during games? For other sites such as Gameknot and chess.com it's ok, you just can't use chess engines.

What do people here think about this. Myself I think it's ok
  2. Joined
    15 Jan '19
    Moves
    07 Mar '19 22:36
    Rah,
    I like this chess experience because it allows studying chess openings and learning new things while playing chess. For instance, I have played against 1 opponent where I made an error, but I would not say that I realized the error until after I had already played it. Hopefully, I will able to reconsider such a move in other similar positions without making the error again. My opponent did not capitalize on my error, but made, perhaps, 2 errors of her own. She could have traded knights and queens with me and perhaps had an advantage on the Queen side after my error. But don't reply to my comments about our game because I am not supposed to get any human help.
  3. Toronto
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 03:27
    The thing about using opening books is you have to be careful not to become dependent on them. Sometimes I find myself looking up obvious moves just because I can. And then there is the situation where your opponent deviates from "the book" and you don't know what to do.

Sometimes I wonder just how much it prepares you for OTB chess, where you don't have the book to fall back on.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 05:08
    @rah050 said
    The thing about using opening books is you have to be careful not to become dependent on them. Sometimes I find myself looking up obvious moves just because I can. And then there is the situation where your opponent deviates from "the book" and you don't know what to do.

Sometimes I wonder just how much it prepares you for OTB chess, where you don't have the book to fall back on.
    Just because you can refer to books does not mean you have to!

If you want to improve your OTB games treat RHP games as such.

btw: Engines are NOT allowed.
  5. Toronto
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 05:29
    @wolfgang59

I still think that correspondence chess provides you with a good opportunity to improve your opening play by using books, and will help your OTB play if you do it right.

This is the idea I had. When you can see what opening variation is being played, take a couple of days to do the research, and add to my repertoire database, then put the book down and play the game. Don't just copy the moves in the book.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Mar '19 13:46
    @rah050

At the bottom of the page there is a link to the 'Terms of Service'.
    Your question is answered there.

Here is an excerpt:

Terms of Service
    (RHP) RedHotPawn.com (and associated brands)
    Last updated 2018-05-14

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 07:27
    @rah050 said
    What is the policy here for using opening books and databases to assist during games? For other sites such as Gameknot and chess.com it's ok, you just can't use chess engines.

What do people here think about this. Myself I think it's ok
    Yes, the use of books and databases are permitted here as well as in most correspondence chess organizations such as ICCF. One valuable point of information though: A chess book or database is a guide, NOT a gospel. You may consider the moves of others in like situations, but it's each players responsibility to analyze the position in front of them and find the best move they can. 🙂
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 11:33
    @rah050 said

I give all common Chess Openings the same regard as I did Multiplication Tables in the 4th Grade. I try to memorize them.
    It's efficient, saving time and energy to ponder the complexities in the game ahead.

However, unlike basic mathematics, Chess Theory does evolve. So it's important to stay current as well.
  9. United states
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 20:50

Removed by poster

10. United states
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 20:51
    @Bishopsinthelane

Do what you believe is right for you, books i use .
  11. United states
    Moves
    09 Mar '19 20:51
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 05:08
    @bishopsinthelane said
    @Bishopsinthelane

Do what you believe is right for you, books i use .
    Wouldn't that depend on the book? What books do you use? You can have a whole library of books to consult about openings and such, and endgame and middlegame strategy and such, just no engines making the moves for you which of course means it is not you playing but a computer making computer moves. That is not human chess, that is cheating.
  13. United states
    Moves
    10 Mar '19 21:35
    @sonhouse

I myself use opening books, also simple chess.by chris baker.good book , plus the date base chess games.com very helpful
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 21:41
    I don't use anything but I agree with people using books to improve their chess.
  15. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '19 00:15
    @rah050

I think 4 to 6 moves into a book line is fine, as far as looking up lines in a book.
    It allows a player to explore new openings that way, and not immediatly fall into an opening trap or blunder.
    Understanding how to read a board after that is important. After a few moves there are too many permutations in a game to allow oneself to be bookish. Unless your beating toward a real *FIDE elo rating nearing 1900 or higher.
    At that level, opening knowlege is a huge consideration.

*FIDE is an OTB rating, not correspondance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree