1. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 21:07
    hello folks.

i realize the heart and appeal of correspondence play is time spent in analysis and the quest for a 'perfect game'.

but i've been considering using turn-based (RHP, etc) as an aid in 'over the board' play. it seems to me to accomplish this, one would pull up the position, analyze the position mentally (no movement of pieces) for 5 to 10 minutes and make move at that point. of course a faster moving opponent would help keep the 'flow' of the game more vivid in ones mind.

i'm confident any rating value would decline by several hundred points.

the benefit of this approach is OTB conditions are approached but without the large slice of time for an uninterrupted game.

i'm sure others have tried this and thought i'd ask how it worked out ??

thanks for any comments.
    chuck
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 22:30
    Originally posted by caa55
    hello folks.

i realize the heart and appeal of correspondence play is time spent in analysis and the quest for a 'perfect game'.

but i've been considering using turn-based (RHP, etc) as an aid in 'over the board' play. it seems to me to accomplish this, one would pull up the position, analyze the position mentally (no movement of pieces) for 5 to 10 min ...[text shortened]... tried this and thought i'd ask how it worked out ??

thanks for any comments.
    chuck
    I don't think it would work out too well unless you used the blitz feature at longer time controls. You would have to find somebody willing to do that. You have found somebody willing to do that.
  3. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 20:40
    Actually if you have a lot of games in progress, you don't spend that much time thinking before playing. So it approaches OTB conditions.

I just came back from an OTB tournament last weekend. Before that tournament my main practice was playing on RHP.

The tournament went rather well for me, I scored 3,5 out of 5 and finished 6th of 40 players.
  4. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 20:53
    A number of years ago I spent a year playing correspondence chess and when I went back to playing over the board my grade jumped over 150 points although I tended to get into severe time trouble. Previously I had played much too quickly and often on intuition.

I intend starting back over the board again later on in the year and I hope I can get my FIDE grade over 2200. My actual performance after my initial correspondence foray was about 2280 over a 6 month period. I'm much older now so I would be satisfied to get back over 2150 again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree