Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Mar '16 12:02 / 1 edit
    Do you consider this fair play?

    I notice that in tricky situations where I could very easily make a wrong move, my opponent sends an in-game message through, implying game is over, nice win, well played; that sort of thing.

    It's fine, it doesn't distract me; sport on TV does that well enough!
  2. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    28 Mar '16 08:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you consider this fair play?

    I notice that in tricky situations where I could very easily make a wrong move, my opponent sends an in-game message through, implying game is over, nice win, well played; that sort of thing.

    It's fine, it doesn't distract me; sport on TV does that well enough!
    Never believe a compliment from your opponent during a running game. It's likely to be a trap.
  3. 28 Mar '16 09:30
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Never believe a compliment from your opponent during a running game. It's likely to be a trap.
    My thoughts precisely.
  4. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    28 Mar '16 12:29
    let the mind games begin !
  5. 29 Mar '16 01:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you consider this fair play?

    I notice that in tricky situations where I could very easily make a wrong move, my opponent sends an in-game message through, implying game is over, nice win, well played; that sort of thing.

    It's fine, it doesn't distract me; sport on TV does that well enough!
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore. I like to confuse them now with a new strategy: remaining silent when they're expecting a message.
  6. 29 Mar '16 04:25
    Originally posted by Metacomedian
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore. I like to confuse them now with a new strategy: remaining silent when they're expecting a message.
    I send the messages for the next game during the current one. That always puts my opponents off-balance.
  7. 29 Mar '16 11:22
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I send the messages for the next game during the current one. That always puts my opponents off-balance.
    That's devious.
  8. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    30 Mar '16 10:18
    Originally posted by Metacomedian
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore. I like to confuse them now with a new strategy: remaining silent when they're expecting a message.
  9. 30 Mar '16 17:43
    If a player put in their profile that they "love to chat during the game" and "feel free to chat" or something like that, I feel guilty if I "only" make moves, so I sometimes force myself to write something (but not just referring to the weather).

    If you really think that chat was evil-minded, you might try Monty Python´s style with answers as such:
    1 - Yep, me too thinks this record is scratched.
    2 - Yep, that giant styrofoam-made penguin just passed by in my street.
  10. 02 Apr '16 05:45
    Originally posted by Metacomedian
    It has become so common, the trick doesn't work anymore.
    I just found it curious. It got to the point in this particular game that it was counter-productive as every time a message came through I was doubling my concentration looking for the trap.
  11. 08 Apr '16 14:52
    I usually just ask "have you ever played chess before?" halfway into the game and let them ponder that.
  12. Standard member pdunne
    Badmaster
    08 Apr '16 17:27
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I usually just ask "have you ever played chess before?" halfway into the game and let them ponder that.
    To which I would reply: "Nah! But hey! It's just shifting pieces of wood around on a wooden board -- I mean, how hard can it be?"
  13. 17 Apr '16 16:16
    I saw this work in an OTB game in a tournament, in the middle of a complex position opponent said "good game I'll probably resign in a few moves" and the other guy sweated bullets and took more time than usual looking for a winning line that wasn't there, got him all rattled.
  14. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    18 Apr '16 18:13
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I saw this work in an OTB game in a tournament, in the middle of a complex position opponent said "good game I'll probably resign in a few moves" and the other guy sweated bullets and took more time than usual looking for a winning line that wasn't there, got him all rattled.
    That's evil.
  15. 18 Apr '16 20:53
    Ive sent a messaga like this "missed the check mate" after their latest move when they get bhind my lines. And there was non there.