1. Joined
    15 Jan '19
    Moves
    18 Nov '22 04:531 edit
    Is it cheating to use Nunn's Chess Openings and other openings books like "Starting Out: Sicilian Dragon," to play chess on Redhotpawn.com?
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    18 Nov '22 14:26
    @zzzzz9200 said
    Is it cheating to use Nunn's Chess Openings and other openings books like "Starting Out: Sicilian Dragon," to play chess on Redhotpawn.com?
    This website's Terms of Service state
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
    Therefore, it would appear that what you describe would not be considered cheating at RHP.
  3. e4
    Moves
    18 Nov '22 15:00
    Hi zzzzz9200

It is not cheating to consult printed material. The rule is when out of the book do not
    start using a computer. As you can see from my blog the vast majority here do not use computer assistance.

The bad news about following opening theory here is that many fear opening
    knowledge and to avoid walking into a trap or a poor position they play anti book
    moves so very often you will be closing your opening book after four or five moves
    and in some cases even sooner. If you look at Games Explorer after 1.e4 e5 you will
    see no fewer that 29 different replies by White on move two.

At the bottom of the page you will find a link to Games Explorer.
  4. Standard memberEndLame
    👌
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '22 01:42
    I think it is better to study with a book and board but when you play you should make your own moves instead of copying from a book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree