Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    27 Apr '11 14:18
    This is pretty cool. 😀

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2009/12/11/outside-the-box/
  2. 27 Apr '11 16:41
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    This is pretty cool. 😀

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2009/12/11/outside-the-box/
    Unfortunately, the last part of the article is incorrect. I have the book in which some of those articles were published. At the end of this one Krabbé adds a note admitting that he misquoted the relevant rule, to make the extra-long castle possible. The stipulation that both pieces had to be on the same row was already in the FIDE rules in 1972. Krabbé quoted the rule without those words, for the sake of the joke.

Also, less importantly, the actual problem is a bit more involved, because he wanted it to show all "three" possible castlings. The original position is:

and the requirement is mate in three.

(1. e7; then
    ...g5, 2. e8Q+ and 3Qe2#;
    ...Ke4, 2. e8Q+ and Qe5# or Qe2#;
    ...Kf3, 2. e8R g5 3 0-0#;
    ...Kd3, 2. e8R g5 3 0-0-0#; and finally
    ...Kf3 2. e8R Kg2 3 0-0-0-0# and
    ...Kd3 2. e8R Kc2 3 0-0-0-0#.)

What is true is that several Dutch and Belgian journalists took him on his word...

Richard
  3. 27 Apr '11 20:20
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Unfortunately, the last part of the article is incorrect. I have the book in which some of those articles were published. At the end of this one Krabbé adds a note admitting that he misquoted the relevant rule, to make the extra-long castle possible. The stipulation that both pieces had to be on the same row was already in the FIDE rules in 1972. Krabbé ...[text shortened]...
    What is true is that several Dutch and Belgian journalists took him on his word...

Richard
    Dutch and Belgian? are you not the same? 😛
  4. 28 Apr '11 05:23
    If Kf3, then 0-0-0-0-0 means the white king is on e3. that puts the white king under threat by the black king, which is illegal.
  5. 28 Apr '11 18:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I alerted a moderator because of this preposterous thought!
    Belgium is the country who owns the world record in forming a government (319 days and counting)
    http://www.hoelangzonderregering.be/

Also they talk funny.

*Wink*
  6. 29 Apr '11 12:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Only to silly Irishmen like you. (😛 back at yer!)

Richard
  7. 29 Apr '11 12:52
    Originally posted by Darax The Good
    If Kf3, then 0-0-0-0-0 means the white king is on e3. that puts the white king under threat by the black king, which is illegal.
    Nope, there are two possibilities after Kf3. First White answers by getting a rook (not a queen!). Then Black is in zugzwang - he only has two moves and both lose. White castles topside only if Black moves his king (to g2, by necessity). If Black leaves his king on f3 (choosing g5 instead), White mates with the normal kingside castle.

Richard
  8. 29 Apr '11 13:14
    Originally posted by yashin
    Belgium is the country who owns the world record in forming a government (319 days and counting) http://www.hoelangzonderregering.be/
    Which, dear boy, which. Not who. Belgium is a non-personal entity, not a human or similar individual - although I'm sure Fat Barty often wishes utinam populus Vallonianus unam cervicem haberet.
    Also, the record is disputed. Some people claim Cambodia had a government formation which lasted for almost a year. Others insist that this doesn't count because it wasn't really a normal government being formed, what with Cambodia not being fully democratic yet at the time. In either case, I'm sure Belgium will get that record, too, if only they are patient enough.

Also they talk funny.

Well, yeah. But so do the Scots, and we don't mind them, do we? Not as long as they keep distilling Lagavulin...

Richard
  9. 30 Apr '11 02:25
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Nope, there are two possibilities after Kf3. First White answers by getting a rook (not a queen!). Then Black is in zugzwang - he only has two moves and both lose. White castles topside only if Black moves his king (to g2, by necessity). If Black leaves his king on f3 (choosing g5 instead), White mates with the normal kingside castle.

Richard
    oh, i see. 🙂 Somehow I was envisioning the promotion and the castle on the same move.