1. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    28 Jan '05 05:00
    Read this in a book,101 chess opening traps,I recently bought.It's supposed to be true,but wether or not that is the case,it sure is funny.

Zapata-Anand
    1.e4,e5 2.Nf3,Nf6 3.Nxe5,d6 4.Nf3,Nxe4 5.Nc3,Bf5?? 6.Qe2, Anand resigns
    The story goes: reaching the position after white's 5th move,Anand recalled the publication of the game Miles-Christiansen,in the Informator(a highly respectable chess journal),which went 6.Nxe4,Bxe4 etc....Impressed with the ease with which black had drawn in that game,Vishy decided to try it himself.But,after 6.Qe2,black just loses a piece.
    Now,how could both Miles and Christiansen have missed such an obvious move????
    The answer is........they didn't!!That game had been agreed drawn in advance.Something the Informator had not revealed.At the board,Miles did see that Qe2 was winning,but remained the gentleman,and avoided playing it.It is said,that he did spend some seconds polishing the e2 square with his finger,untill Christiansen's face had the appropriate shade of red,whereupon Miles took on e4.

I'm not laughing 'cause Vishy lost,I like Vishy,but that story,man o man,it nearly killed me.Amazing that a player of that level,plays a move without looking at the position for himself.......🙄
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Jan '05 23:31
    yupz i see that game

zapata - anand 1988

6 move loss hehe...thats harsh playing a move just like that 🙂
  3. Boston
    Moves
    30 Jan '05 17:18
    You say: "But,after 6.Qe2,black just loses a piece. "

Have you studied the position yourself?

What if Black moves 6...d5! -- supporting the pinned N and blocking the loss of his bishop after 7.Qb5+? Unless I am missing something, the position is not worth resigning over. It could proceed 7.NxN PXN 8.Qb5+ Qd7, for example.
  4. FORT WORTH
    Moves
    30 Jan '05 17:53
    Originally posted by lazycuban

What if Black moves 6...d5! -- supporting the pinned N and blocking the loss of his bishop after 7.Qb5+? Unless I am missing something, the position is not worth resigning over. It could proceed 7.NxN PXN 8.Qb5+ Qd7, for example.
    too many letters and numbers... how can you people memorize the board coodinates?
  5. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    30 Jan '05 18:08
    Originally posted by lazycuban

Actually,I did look at the position.And yes,you missed something:
    after 6.Qe2,d5 7.d3 there is no way to save black's knight.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jan '05 19:58
    yes 7.d3 wins it all. a guy from our chess club was going ot nevada and stopped by for the larry -miles game and he said everyone knew that the game had be pre arranged.... it was no suprise
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 01:21
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    Read this in a book,101 chess opening traps,I recently bought.It's supposed to be true,but wether or not that is the case,it sure is funny.

Zapata-Anand
    The story goes: reaching the position after white's 5th move,Anand recalled the publication of the game Miles-Christiansen,i ...[text shortened]... ng that a player of that level,plays a move without looking at the position for himself.......🙄
    Please tell the forum where is GM Alonso Zapata from 😀
  8. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 01:41

Zapata-Anand
    The story goes: reaching the position after white's 5th move,Anand recalled the publication of the game Miles-Christiansen,i ...[text shortened]... ng that a player of that level,plays a move without looking at the position for himself.......🙄
    Just goes to show you even Grandmasters are human.
    😉
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '03
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 02:00

Zapata-Anand
    😀 Love it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree