1. Midwest USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 14:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

I posted the game on this board so that stronger players could tell me if I was correct.

But I do appreciate you calling me arrogant. It's always good when someone personalizes a thread by insulting a player who's only trying to learn.
    Ok ok, arrogant may have been a bit too STRONG for your thin skin. I take IT back. This is difficult for me TO say, mincing my words.

The game was still ANYONE'S game...wide open. Imagine if every sub 2000 player resigned during the endgame of EVERY game if material and position were equal. I'LL guarantee they'd stay SUB 2000 FOREVER.

Your logic is flawed to the point of RIDICULOUSNESS, though. How can you justify trying to learn by throwing in the towel 75% through the game? I really am having trouble understanding it. It makes NO sense.

We're not talking about Q vs Q ending. We're not talking about Knight and Bishop vs Bishop and Bishop ending. Your GAME had so much life left in it. SO much learning potential....and you just threw it away.

I have to stop now. This is a SORE point with me when people abandon their games out of............

If I continue, the insults will really START to fly. I'm out.
  2. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 14:26
    This is in reply to teacher1...white was right to take the draw if white pushes his king towards the queen side he will lose ie....now 41...Nf7/b7 what are you going to play?...answer 42.Ke4?....ok 42...Nd6+ now what are you going to play? 43.Kf3 then Nf7...white can not play for a win without losing.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by teacher1
    Ok ok, arrogant may have been a bit too STRONG for your thin skin. I take IT back. This is difficult for me TO say, mincing my words.

The game was still ANYONE'S game...wide open. Imagine if every sub 2000 player resigned during the endgame of EVERY game if material and position were equal. I'LL guarantee they'd stay SUB 2000 FOREVER.

Your logic is f games out of............

If I continue, the insults will really START to fly. I'm out.
    What we learn from a game does not end with the result, as this thread demonstrates.

In fact, we often learn more from a game AFTER the result, than we do while it is in progress.

Our fellow player secured a draw, and we are all learning about the possibilities that the position holds. To suggest that a learning opportunity has been lost is patently false- even the existence of your own posts are a part of the learning process, and contradict your thesis.

A draw is better than a loss, and for one to suggest that something makes no sense only describes the perceptive abilities of the writer.

I think you can probably look up "game theory" on wikipedia (or google it or whatever), and your inability to make sense of the situation will disappear with the light of new knowledge.

I wish you the best of luck on your path to new knowledge!

Paul
  4. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 14:50
    ie...41...Nb7 42.Kc6 Na5+ 43.Kc7 Nxc4!? does that not win?
  5. Midwest USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 15:06
    Originally posted by PAWN RIOT
    This is in reply to teacher1...white was right to take the draw if white pushes his king towards the queen side he will lose ie....now 41...Nf7/b7 what are you going to play?...answer 42.Ke4?....ok 42...Nd6+ now what are you going to play? 43.Kf3 then Nf7...white can not play for a win without losing.
    Firstly, BLACK accepted the draw.

Secondly, as you pointed out twice, there is the real possibility of a LOSS in this game. There is always the possibility of a LOSS in any game. You are always ONE move away from a loss. Ask Kramnik about that one.

Thirdly, I am not singling out Mr paratrooper for his questionable decision, but his opponent ALSO made a blunder by accepting the draw.

Perhaps the two players learned something from this aborted GAME, but it sure wasn't endgame play, endgame tactics, effective pawn play, or the "never give up" attitude that makes a GREAT chess player.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 15:18
    Originally posted by teacher1
    Firstly, BLACK accepted the draw.

Secondly, as you pointed out twice, there is the real possibility of a LOSS in this game. There is always the possibility of a LOSS in any game. You are always ONE move away from a loss. Ask Kramnik about that one.

Thirdly, I am not singling out Mr paratrooper for his questionable decision, but his opponent ALSO made ...[text shortened]... actics, effective pawn play, or the "never give up" attitude that makes a GREAT chess player.
    What PART of DRAW by REPETITION do YOU not UNDERSTAND? NEITHER of US felt WE could DEVIATE from OUR back AND forth BETWEEN my KING and HIS knight. WE both CALCULATED doing SO would BE losing.
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 17:55
    you did the right thing to offer the draw and your opponent accepting based on your analysis as indicated. Don't pay any attention to the comments of the infamous cheater_1 (teacher1). His website at myspace tells it all. He gloats in upsetting people any way he can.
  8. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 12:26
    he is clearly a total fruitcake. limiting forum postings to, say, ten (enough to get sufficient help to get them going and test the water) for non-subs would get rid of time wasters like this loon.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '10 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What PART of DRAW by REPETITION do YOU not UNDERSTAND? NEITHER of US felt WE could DEVIATE from OUR back AND forth BETWEEN my KING and HIS knight. WE both CALCULATED doing SO would BE losing.
    teacher1 is clearly an internet troll, no doubt in my mind. However, the chance that he doesn't understand three-position repetition is not outside the realm of possibility. 🙂

P.S. Regarding the use of all-caps, Thabtos' recent post in another thread is my all-time favorite:

"in some cases YOU HAVE to play on. it is A fundaMENTAL error if you don't give it your all. you might not be a PRO but it isn't a BLEMish on your record to keep going! "

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree