03 Nov '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 22:59
    Game 9096972

your thoughts are welcome....thanks :o)
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 23:13
    quick reply: 46. c5 (instead of withdrawal of the Knight) was better ("I think"😉

theoretically, according Averbach, after 31th move, White was in a winning position - black Bishop was shooting at his own Pawns, and Knight had advantage
  3. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 02:24
    I was white here, and was just beginning to see scenarios where white could actually lose, after what had earlier seemed a straightforward win.

Just ran it through tChess Pro and it did seem to favor white, sometimes by a single tempo with the respective rook pawns queening.

Either way, a good result for a hard fought game.

As an aside, what's thought to be the best chess engine for either the Mac or an iPad to just plug in a position and to see which side is favored? Only after the game like here, of course - I'm strict about no assistance either human or machine during the game!
  4. Joined
    03 Nov '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 15:33
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    quick reply: 46. c5 (instead of withdrawal of the Knight) was better ("I think"😉

theoretically, according Averbach, after 31th move, White was in a winning position - black Bishop was shooting at his own Pawns, and Knight had advantage
    yes, as black here i expected 46. c5 and was quite surprised !

i took the draw quite happily :o)
  5. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 16:071 edit
    c5 wasn't on my radar.

It seemed to give up a pawn (albeit a doubled one), and would simultaneously draw the black king another square closer to my vulnerable Rook pawn.

I had not seen how my knight on d5 would have blocked black's king incursion. But as soon as the knight goes after Black's h pawn, black's king is free to go after white's a pawn and a lot of the lines seem to play out with same-tempo queening.

But white was probably better and I was seeing ghosts, playing out a lot of losing lines and disappointed with how an apparently won position could drift into losing possibilities.

Anyway, good game and good outcome regardless!
  6. USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 17:42
    Since the outcome was unclear and the stakes are low (it is an internet game, after all) I think you should have played it out. The endgame would've been instructive.
  7. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 18:131 edit
    Nothing unclear about this position. It is absolutely a forced win for White. Black has absolutely no counterplay, and the only danger of White losing is if he blunders badly, which should not happen in a CC game. No reason to even consider a draw here.

Edit: reading chesskid's comment again, he probably meant that it was unclear to the participants. As a general rule though, with equal material, when one side's minor piece is vastly superior to the other side's in the endgame, the side with the superior piece normally has good winning chances, if not an already won position. Black's compromised pawn structure, the fact that all of Black's pawns are immobile, and that all of White's pawns are completely unassailable by the Black bishop, cement this as a winning position for White.
  8. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:33
    Thanks for all the input.

For me, an interesting glimpse into my own psychology that I was actually able to see a possible loss for white here.

I saw a crippled knight hobbling around while black's king picked off my isolated pawns and got queening threats of his own.

Anyway, it's what keeps chess interesting!
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 23:15
    Originally posted by FastEddieB
    Thanks for all the input.

For me, an interesting glimpse into my own psychology that I was actually able to see a possible loss for white here.

I saw a crippled knight hobbling around while black's king picked off my isolated pawns and got queening threats of his own.

Anyway, it's what keeps chess interesting!
    If you felt a little insecure and that the game may be drawish, I think it ok generally to take a draw, especially if time or game load is a consideration. While playing it out may be instructive, there are other considerations.
  10. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 03:374 edits
    Originally posted by JimmyBilly
    Game 9096972

your thoughts are welcome....thanks :o)
    hi.
    your final position was won.

black's bishop is awful.... badly hampered by his pawns being on the same colour as his bishop.

I include 2 sample lines as to how white wins. NOTE HOW WHITE'S PLAN IS TO QUEEN THE H PAWN

from the final position.

1...... Kc5 (what else can black try)
    2. Nd5 Kc4
    3. g4! (blacks king is frozen out for now) if Kc5
    4. Nf6 Kb4
    5. g5 Be7
    6. Nd5 wins so

3.......if instead Kd4
    4. Nf6 Be7 (note 4..... Bf6 would lose here to 5. Kf6 Ke4 6. g5! hg 7. h6)
    5. g5! Bf8 ( hg would lose straight away to Nd7)
    6. gh Bh6
    7. Ng4 Bg7
    8. h6 Bh8
    9. c3 Kc3
    10. Ne5 Kb4
    11. Nf7 Bd4
    12 e5 queening the h pawn

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree