1. Joined
    22 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 00:081 edit
    I recently accepted a draw in this game (Game 1494544), partly because I had too many games going at the time, but also because I didn't really see a way to make any real progress. I am not, however, very good at evaluating endgames, so I'm very curious what other people think about the final position. Is it drawn? Do I have an advantage? If so, how should I have continued?

Edit: inserted FEN
  2. U.S.A.
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 00:172 edits
    Originally posted by mikebind
    I recently accepted a draw in this game (Game 1494544),
    I'm very curious what other people think about the final position. Is it drawn? Do I have an advantage? If so, how should I have continued?
    [fen]r4rk1/3b1p1p/p2p1p2/1pp1p3/4P2N/3P3P/PPP2PP1/2KR3R w - c6 0 16[/fen]
    Well i wouldn't have called it a draw just yet. I usually like to battle to the bitter end if i can. 🙂
    Not sure who has the advantage. He has the doubled pawns which is usually considered bad but he has a bishop though which can be very useful in endgame play when there are only a few pawns left. Maybe it was in your best interest to call it a draw since he has the bishop but i don't think a draw was forced just yet. Especially considering that there are still 4 rooks left in the game as well, anything could have happend.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 00:22
    Originally posted by mikebind
    I recently accepted a draw in this game (Game 1494544), partly because I had too many games going at the time, but also because I didn't really see a way to make any real progress. I am not, however, very good at evaluating endgames, so I'm very curious what other people think about the final position. Is it drawn? Do I have an advantage? If so, ...[text shortened]... ?
    [fen]r4rk1/3b1p1p/p2p1p2/1pp1p3/4P2N/3P3P/PPP2PP1/2KR3R w - c6 0 16[/fen]
    I'm not good at judging positions but I could have tried the pawn storm on his kingside with the two rooks to help the attack,maybe something good could come out of it.
    By the way I also often accept draws when I don't know what to do......
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '04
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 00:37
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I'm not good at judging positions but I could have tried the pawn storm on his kingside with the two rooks to help the attack,maybe something good could come out of it.
    That sounds pretty reasonable. One thing I was worried about was that if I started opening the position up I would be making his bishop increasingly more powerful than my knight.
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 00:45
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I don't think it would've been useful in the endgame where the king wants to escape his castled position anyway. As long as black had the forsight to do this, white would just end up overtending himself, and undoubling black's pawns.

This is a very drawish position, but you never know how things will turn out. The right pawn break is crucial with all of the rooks on the board.

However, I'd say that black has a small advantage due to the bishop, and the horrid placement of your knight. His doubled pawn isn't much of an issue since once your knight moves, he can undouble with f5. Black also has more queenside space and good pawn structure there.
  6. Joined
    30 Jan '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '05 17:19
    I am not, however, very good at evaluating endgames, so I'm very curious what other people think about the final position. Is it drawn? Do I have an advantage? If so, how should I have continued?
    1.c4 So black doesn't open the centre and you won't have to fear tthe bishop any longer.(Probably no need to worry, anyway.)
    2.g4 to control f5 and h5
    3.f4 gains more space, possibility of using the half-open f-file.
    I'd say white has an edge but probably black can draw.
  7. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '05 00:03
    Rf1 and f4 looks like a strong plan to me. It would cement your control of f5 and pressure his doubled pawn complex.
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '05 00:33
    White has good chances due to weak pawns f6 and h7 and an excellent outpost on f5 to start any plans off. Accrurate defending by Black is required to hold this position together.
  9. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    02 Dec '05 00:38
    Originally posted by Oddjob291
    White has good chances due to weak pawns f6 and h7 and an excellent outpost on f5 to start any plans off. Accrurate defending by Black is required to hold this position together.
    😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree