1. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 May '09 10:21
    I have Chernov's Logical Chess Move by Move and am really learning from it and enjoying it. What are some other books like that with good comments on each move?

I'm am finding this is a great way to learn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please help me find other books like that for someone not too advanced.

grit
  2. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 May '09 12:04
    Originally posted by grit
    I have Chernov's Logical Chess Move by Move and am really learning from it and enjoying it. What are some other books like that with good comments on each move?

I'm am finding this is a great way to learn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please help me find other books like that for someone not too advanced.

grit
    Understanding chess move by move by John Nunn.It's like a more modern version of logical chess.
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 May '09 12:11
    Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking by Neil McDonald is an attempt at an update.

I personally rate this higher (if you're a lower intermediate) though it is heavily annotated, rather than every single move:
    A First Book of Morphy by Frisco Del Rosario
    http://tinyurl.com/qddxok
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '09 12:53
    you may also enjoy this site, based on Chernevs method

http://www.logicalchess.com/resources/lc/
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 May '09 16:02
    robbie, that site is a gold mine! Thank you.

grit
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    08 May '09 16:39
    Is Seirawan's book "Winning Chess Brilliances" good? Has anyone used it? I like all his books, but have never seen this one. Would it be suitable for someone at my lever?

grit
  7. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    09 May '09 18:22
    The McDonald book mentioned above is very good - quite clear in its explanations of each move. It has chapters dealing with 1.e4 e5, 1.d4 d5, 1.e4 c5, 1.d4 Nf6 openings (including transpositions from other move orders), and flank openings. If you want to delve into the logic of the openings it is very good, and the explanations continue right up to the last moves. I thought the choice of games was good too.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 May '09 19:37
    Thanks folks. I just ordered Neil McDonald's book! I 'm looking forward to its arrival.

grit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree