1. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 22:35
    I can only think of when one is sure the game can not be won and forcing a draw is unlikely given what one knows about one's opponent's skill level.

Any others?
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 22:47
    courtesy before committing suicide?
  3. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 22:55
    Someone can resign whenever they like. In real life and on here, chess is a game. If someone wants to stop playing that game, on the understanding that this means that their opponent will win, they can do so.

Normally people want to win and so don't do this, but if someone wants to resign any or all of their games, that's their business. Things get a little more complicated if it's a team match, as resigning affects your team mates as well, but even then I can think of many possible real-world situations that would affect someone's ability and desire to play internet chess. In the end, it's just a game.
  4. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 23:00
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    courtesy before committing suicide?
    LOL! Novices like me don't take chess that seriously!... although courtesy (eg resigning because one will not be able to move for an extended time or is leaving the site) seems a good reason for resigning a game
  5. gumtree
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 23:38
    Acceptable to whom? If I want to resign I will. Similarly, if I don't want to resign I won't.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 23:41
    What's an accetable reason to start a thread? This one surely does not meet that requirement.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 03:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    What's an accetable reason to start a thread? This one surely does not meet that requirement.
    While this topic is hardly novel, I don't think it deserves this sort of bile. This is your second time in a week you have attacked a poster out of boredom...
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 03:38
    Originally posted by drdon
    I can only think of when one is sure the game can not be won and forcing a draw is unlikely given what one knows about one's opponent's skill level.

Any others?
    How about I shove my size 13 up your bum. Is that acceptable?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 05:50

Any others?
    If you are playing me, you are free to resign for any reason or for no reason at all.😛
  10. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 10:11
    LOL! Novices like me don't take chess that seriously!... although courtesy (eg resigning because one will not be able to move for an extended time or is leaving the site) seems a good reason for resigning a game
    Although I should add before others do that if you are involved in a clan game and intend to commit suicide then you should refer to your clan leader for etiquette as they may prefer you to take vacations etc.
  11. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    How about I shove my size 13 up your bum. Is that acceptable?
    No😴 Is there a need to be so aggressively rude?
  12. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 14:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Then alert the moderator and don't waste time.
  13. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    If you are playing me, you are free to resign for any reason or for no reason at all.😛
    What a sandbaggers' delight! Although I enjoyed the sentiment
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 23:331 edit

Any others?
    1. It's a boring position.

2. Your opponent is taking forever and you don't care anymore, even though you are winning.

3. You have something better to do.

4. Your opponent has a low rating, plays horribly, and you'd like to give him a thrill.

5. Your opponent is very young, but has played better than usual and you'd like to give him bragging rights/ego boost, even though you would likely win if you hung tough.

6. Your wife just told you to get busy and stop $%#@%& around, there's stuff to do around the house.

7. You have made many mistakes and the game is so flawed you can't stand it.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 01:20
    No😴 Is there a need to be so aggressively rude?
    Quite right, I do apologize for my indiscretion. I most humbly ask your forgiveness. I have taken the liberty of adding you to my friends here, so feel free to send me a game anytime, as a gesture of good will.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree