Originally posted by drdon
I can only think of when one is sure the game can not be won and forcing a draw is unlikely given what one knows about one's opponent's skill level.
1. It's a boring position.
2. Your opponent is taking forever and you don't care anymore, even though you are winning.
3. You have something better to do.
4. Your opponent has a low rating, plays horribly, and you'd like to give him a thrill.
5. Your opponent is very young, but has played better than usual and you'd like to give him bragging rights/ego boost, even though you would likely win if you hung tough.
6. Your wife just told you to get busy and stop $%#@%& around, there's stuff to do around the house.
7. You have made many mistakes and the game is so flawed you can't stand it.