1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 19:40
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Polgar: Chess
    I would just like to add a point about this book that was surprising and valuable to me.

The first part of the book is composed of mate-in-ones. I laughed when I saw this, but when I started on them, some of them actually took me a bit to see the mate. There are ways to mate that I had never imagined- is was like the Kama Sutra of chess books.

It made me realize how many mating patterns I was unfamiliar with, and it made me apply myself to the book with greater gusto.

Paul
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 19:41
    Originally posted by gundel
    Blokh - Combinational Motifs. A great computer program CTART 3.0 is based on tactical problems from this book.
    I have an older version of his book, and it has twelve "mini-boards" before each section, highlighting the tactical theme for that chapter is it's purest form.

I review those positions before each OTB tournament, as I think it acts as a quick refresher of what is available at the board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree