1. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 15:58
    This happened to me just now(and although I figured it out over the course of a couple days from when I first saw where the situation was going, the game isn't over yet, so not going to link it or talk about specifics yet). So: You have some clear advantage that you can see should lead to a mate, but you just can't seem to figure the mate out. What do you do?
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 16:14
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    This happened to me just now(and although I figured it out over the course of a couple days from when I first saw where the situation was going, the game isn't over yet, so not going to link it or talk about specifics yet). So: You have some clear advantage that you can see should lead to a mate, but you just can't seem to figure the mate out. What do you do?
    Try to hold the draw! Use your time wisely!! Have a nice day!!!
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 18:49
    Don't move until you see it.
  4. Philadelphia
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 19:26
    For me, the situation you describe above means 80% of the time the mate isnt there and it's just wishful thinking. What I should do is take a deep breath and look for another opportunity. But usually i cant resist the urge to attack anyway, thereby opening the front door and letting disappointment stroll in and urinate on my carpet.
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 19:40
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Don't move until you see it.
    classic
  6. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 20:17
    Use the analysis board.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 21:35
    Knowing common mating attacks (Bishop sac on h7) and mating patterns (backrank, epaulette, etc) may help you fit any specific position to one of these patterns. Look at the book "The Art of Attack" by Vladimir Vukovic.

Play what the position on the board gives you and not what you might want to play. Perhaps some general guidelines for other situations:

For a mating attack you need superior numbers in the area of the board where it is going to happen, some weakness in the defense as a target, and the ability to control the tempo by threats, attacks, and possible sacrifice.

For positional advantages think of how to use that positional factor. By example, say there is an open file. You seize the open file with a Rook, bring his brother Rook onto the file, penetrate the Rooks to the 7th rank, and start looking for pawn targets or the enemy King.

For material advantages, think about using your extra material to gain more material or perhaps liquidation by exchanges to head for the endgame where the effect of your extra material becomes even more pronounced

Do you have a very active piece (especially the Q)? Can you use it to gain more material?

And finally, do you have a passed pawn? Exchange off Bishops and Knights while retaining Rooks and the Queen. Put the heavy pieces behind the passer and push that pawn.

Oh yeah, I'm just an average woodpusher, so take all of this with a grain of salt. 🙂
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 22:05
    I'd ask again when the game has actually ended, so I wouldn't be getting advice that might help me deciding how to continue the game, and thus risk getting myself and the 3rd party advisor banned for seeking outside assistance.
  9. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 22:36
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I'd ask again when the game has actually ended...
    Point taken. I thought of it as a general question from someone who was aware of the 3b dangers.

For a nice blog with good links: http://burncastleburn.blogspot.com/
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 23:07
    I'd ask again when the game has actually ended, so I wouldn't be getting advice that might help me deciding how to continue the game, and thus risk getting myself and the 3rd party advisor banned for seeking outside assistance.
    Its only third party assistance when you are talking about an actual position in the game otherwise any advice given that helps somebody become a better player while in the middle of playing a game would be bannable.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 23:16
    Gah, despite pretenses otherwise, this site allows outside assistance.

Case in point: Some guy posted and said he couldn't move in a game. It turned out that he was in check but didn't know it. Someone replied and told him he was in check. One of the site admins [Chris] said that it was OK to tell the guy he was in check.

I have seen more blatant cases of outside assistance. The threads don't get pulled and the advisers don't get banned.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 23:22

Case in point: Some guy posted and said he couldn't move in a game. It turned out that he was in check but didn't know it. Someone replied and told him he was in check. One of the site admins [Chris] said that it was OK to tell the guy he was in check.

I have seen more blatant cases of outside assistance. The threads don't get pulled and the advisers don't get banned.
    It makes sense in that case since in a tournament hall if you try to move a piece when you are in check that doesn't do anything about removing the check then you would be alerted to this... although if you touched a piece that could remove the check then you would have to even if it was the losing move.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 02:02

rule clarification is allowed. giving strategical advice in a position where the player 'doesn't know what to do' is obviously forbidden outside assistance.

why do you guys always fight this. every single time some newcomer does the same mistake, there's ten guys giving a variety of made-up rationalisations for 'why 3rd party help is okay. it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of rules. stop giving disinformation which might get some poor guy banned.

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. You also agree to :

(a) You will not create more than one account.

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

(c) You may not threaten or harass other users of this Service.

13. TERMINATION
    You agree that RHP may, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately terminate your RHP account,and access to the Service. Cause for such termination shall include, but not be limited to, (a) breaches or violations of the TOS or other incorporated agreements or guidelines,

14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 10:43
    rule clarification is allowed. giving strategical advice in a position where the player 'doesn't know what to do' is obviously forbidden outside assistance.

why do you guys always fight this. every single time some newcomer does the same mistake, there's ten guys giving a variety of made-up rationalisations for 'why 3rd party help is okay. it's not a m ...[text shortened]... or violations of the TOS
    or other incorporated agreements or guidelines,

[/quote][/b]
    Because the TOS are a joke and should be rewritten.

For instance

Banned players being allowed back

People being allowed to create 2nd accounts

Third party assistance

All commonplace within the site yet all, per the TOS, are not allowed.

As such the TOS have as much weight as a feather.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 15:56
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Because the TOS are a joke and should be rewritten.

For instance

Banned players being allowed back

People being allowed to create 2nd accounts

Third party assistance

All commonplace within the site yet all, per the TOS, are not allowed.

As such the TOS have as much weight as a feather.
    You forgot

Engine use

on your list.

Otherwise ... I agree 100%.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree