11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 05:31
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    hello
    what do you think of this one ?
    http://www.chessmasterschool.com/?gclid=CNCn45qw_YsCFQHtlAodQloswA
    is it worth it ?
    I can give you lessons at $39.95 and you will master chess in one week.

I hereby guarantee that you will know everything up to en passant and stalemate and master any other rule of chess – or money back.
  2. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 08:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I can give you lessons at $39.95 and you will master chess in one week.

I hereby guarantee that you will know everything up to en passant and stalemate and master any other rule of chess – or money back.
    you know my dog wants to pick up chess... you reckon ou could teach him?
  3. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 09:54
    Chess is impossible to master
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 11:41
    Originally posted by orion25
    you know my dog wants to pick up chess... you reckon ou could teach him?
    No problems. The garanee is valid for him too.
    If he has any complaints, all he have to do is to write a handwritten letter to me, and we settle everything.
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 12:09
    What's wrong with making claims anyways? It's marketing... it's not like they would sell anything if they just said, ''join us for a year, and you will improve a little if you work your guts out.'' I for one actually think that site has potential.
  6. An airport near you
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 13:13
    I found it expensive for what it is, but good.

The cost per month is for one year, then you get ongoing access to the material and updates without further payment.
    The english language is appalling, but actually at no point stops them communicating.

It's certainly aimed at 1800 - 2000 players who have read loads of books, but have had no decent structural training - focus is around identifying center types, piece activity, and developing appropriate plans through a systematic thinking method.

My take is that if you find 'Reassess' and the Danny King DVD's a little too simplistic, but you're still below 2100, it's worthwhile. The Mikhalchishin chessbase DVDs also look a good bet.

Lastly, there's far too much info to work through per month. I've subscribed for 12 months now, and am still working through month 5 material [and skim reading ahead, of course!]. In terms of feedback, I've found that it is best to read the material, then try to apply it when I analyse my OTB games and try and understand why I wasn't thinking correctly.

On those terms, it gets a rec from me.
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 14:33
    Originally posted by Osse

The cost per month is for one year, then you get ongoing access to the material and updates without further payment.
    The english language is appalling, but actually at no point stops them communicating.

It's certainly aimed at 1800 - 2000 players who have read loads of books, but have had no decent structur ...[text shortened]... understand why I wasn't thinking correctly.

Nice thanks for the review, I appreciate it! I might give it a shot when I hit a tough plateau.
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 14:47
    Originally posted by Osse

It's certainly aimed at 1800 - 2000 players who have read loads of books, but have had no decent structur ...[text shortened]... understand why I wasn't thinking correctly.

thanks for your review.
    the expense is more than the cost of a book, but much less than a private chess lesson.
    if the lessons are instructional, then this sounds like a good deal.
    thanks
  9. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 15:12
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    thanks for your review.
    the expense is more than the cost of a book, but much less than a private chess lesson.
    if the lessons are instructional, then this sounds like a good deal.
    thanks
    But is it giving you anything that a good book can't? At $408 for the basic package, I'd expect some one on one tuition.

$408 can buy a lot of books and a few hours private training with a master.
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 20:01
    400 dollars will get you about 10 hours of a gm's time. That's enough time to go though about 10 games and identify any exaggerated weaknesses and make some general notions of what has to be worked on. The more prepared you are for these lessons the more you will get out of them as the clock is ticking.

400 bucks can buy you maybe 12-15 chess books depending on what you want. I think there is serious diminishing returns in adding to a chess library- so value added for your 400 bucks is minimal.

I think the best method for improvement below master level is find a player 200 pts better than you and play/discuss as much as you can.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 23:21
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You can master chess in one year!!!

[b]WARNING:
    Whenever you hear or see this statement stop listening or close your eyes immediately

AVISO: Cuando quiera que usted oiga o ver este declaración pare oída o cerra su vista inmediatamente[/b]
    Rec'd- for a warning in multiple languages, that's going above and beyond.

Paul
  12. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 17:46
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    400 dollars will get you about 10 hours of a gm's time.
    I suspect that $40 a hour is far more than you need to pay for a GM from Romania.

I seem to remember GM's on ICC offering lessons for $10 to $15 a hour.
  13. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 17:55
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I think the best method for improvement below master level is find a player 200 pts better than you and play/discuss as much as you can.
    I think thats the best advice you could give anyone.

Buying a lot of books is mostly a waste of money if the aim is to improve. If you have one good instructional book and really study it, you will have got pretty much all you can from books.

Most buy book after book looking for a shortcut to chess mastery. The bad news is there isn't one.
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:18
    Originally posted by peacedog
    I suspect that $40 a hour is far more than you need to pay for a GM from Romania.

I seem to remember GM's on ICC offering lessons for $10 to $15 a hour.
    I can check again, but I haven't seen any GM's for less than 25-30 and those are freshly minted ones. Most experienced GM's and IM's are at the 40$ price range.
  15. Romania
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 04:16
    You can take a look at the rates yourself:

http://www.chessclub.com/activities/teachers.html

As for Andrei Istratescu, he has been living in France for several years, after a dispute with the biggest chess cheater ever: Alexandru Crisan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree