Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Der Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    31 Jan '10 23:08
    I'm usually pretty good with my openings and alright in the middle game; it's the endgames where I tend to get beaten. However, I just finished a game where I was decimated in under 20 moves. Where was the decisive mistake?
    Game 7122604
  2. 31 Jan '10 23:32
    I guess omitting Be7,that e5 thrust looks deadly.

    7.... Be7 and black looks ok to me.You recaptured on c6 with the pawn anyway so didn't really need 7.... Bd7
  3. Standard member Der Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    31 Jan '10 23:48
    True. Guess it wasn't as complicated as I thought.
    Thanks
  4. 01 Feb '10 00:23 / 4 edits
    Your mistake was ...e6? Willingly pinning your knight and allowing e4! Better alternatives are Ne5 or Nc6. According to Fritz, Nc6 equalizes completely. After ..e6 white unfortunately already has a big advantage. Also, like Ajuin said, be7 limiting your losses is def better than cxd4 and you might have been able to hold with accurate play.
  5. 01 Feb '10 00:32
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Your mistake was ...e6? Willingly pinning your knight and allowing e4! Better alternatives are Ne5 or Nc6. According to Fritz, Nc6 equalizes completely. After ..e6 white unfortunately already has a big advantage. Also, like Ajuin said, be7 limiting your losses is def better than cxd4. White needs some really accurate play to keep the advantage in that line.
    White has an advantage after 7.... Be7?
    Wherein lies it?More active pieces and space?
  6. 01 Feb '10 00:47
    I jumped the gun when I said white had a big advantage, but Be7 is the only move and black's walking on eggshells from then on, he has a half-dozen only moves in a row. There is a lot of tension in the center and black doesn't have much support there. For one thing white can start by taking on c5 and black needs to wreck his pawn structure to maintain some balance. The other move for white is to take on d5. Of course this is all meaningless computer analysis 😉
  7. 01 Feb '10 01:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    I jumped the gun when I said white had a big advantage, but Be7 is the only move and black's walking on eggshells from then on, he has a half-dozen only moves in a row. There is a lot of tension in the center and black doesn't have much support there. For one thing white can start by taking on c5 and black needs to wreck his pawn structure to maintain some ...[text shortened]... other move for white is to take on d5. Of course this is all meaningless computer analysis 😉
    Ah GM level 😀
    Yes,a computer would rip us to shreds in that position.But then it does that from any position

    Black's centre is a problem indeed,but to me it looked like one of those typical positions where black might lose a pawn,or gets an isolani,but can hold the game.And white still has to prove he can find the correct moves of course.

    I also find 3.... c5 a bit strange.Dunno why really.It looks like something I would do therefore it can't be good 😉
  8. 01 Feb '10 02:37
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    Ah GM level 😀
    Yes,a computer would rip us to shreds in that position.But then it does that from any position

    Black's centre is a problem indeed,but to me it looked like one of those typical positions where black might lose a pawn,or gets an isolani,but can hold the game.And white still has to prove he can find the correct moves of course.

    I also find 3 ...[text shortened]... bit strange.Dunno why really.It looks like something I would do therefore it can't be good 😉
    Your right that ...c5 is an unusual move in that position, g6 is the mainline here. I don't think c5 is too bad though! It's the kind of move I would have made too. But ...e6 is very dubious, on any level.
  9. Standard member Der Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    01 Feb '10 03:13
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Your mistake was ...e6? Willingly pinning your knight and allowing e4! Better alternatives are Ne5 or Nc6. According to Fritz, Nc6 equalizes completely. After ..e6 white unfortunately already has a big advantage. Also, like Ajuin said, be7 limiting your losses is def better than cxd4 and you might have been able to hold with accurate play.
    Obviously I should have looked at the position a little longer. I played e6 to protect the d5 pawn. My thinking was that after 4...Nc6, white would play 5.dxc5, 6.Bxf6, and finally 7.Qxd5. I overlooked the simple 4...Nc6 5.dxc5 d4.
  10. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    01 Feb '10 17:47 / 5 edits
    Hi Der Bayer,

    Lets begin 🙂

    First things first, your opponent should take a ruler to the back of his hands for
    blocking the c pawn so early. Especially when black has played d5. But, to each there own.


    Bg5 does not increase pressure on black - and 4...Ne4 is problematic for white, where
    white will either lose his dark bishop early or will lose the QN leaving a horrible light
    square weakness, without having to trade away his dark bishop!

    White should be rethinking Bg5 right about now


    Bd7? - Relieving the pin on the king? - No.
    Be7 releases Bg5's pressure, accelerates a Kingside castle, and develops the piece
    to an accurate square. Your problems would have been stiffled - and things rather
    even with this very simple developing move!


    After Qh4, black is presented with a problem. He's going to be behind in material.
    What tricks lie in blacks arsenal?


    The b2 pawn is weak, whites king safety is relatively low, and his rooks are not
    connected. Hmmm... Whats wrong with Qb6? or even Qb8! - dubious! (there is something
    wrong..but its sneaky!)


    Now, the accurate response here is Nxd5! - Any other move, begins to add up to
    black equalizing, in an open game, with a nice pawn chain

    Its a gamble... I'd have rolled the dice 🙂 (and maybe been destroyed for it?)

    Accurate play would have been Be7


    Now things are already...disastrous... but Qxc3+ is clearly best!

    (OK, it doesn't matter... but... it does... mentally you should see this first)
  11. Standard member Der Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    01 Feb '10 21:19
    Thanks for the thorough analysis Nowakowski, I appreciate it 🙂
  12. 21 Mar '10 17:04