What I find hilarious...

What I find hilarious...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
08 Mar 13

..is at OTB events. People using those idiotic hard cover notation books to record their moves. Trying to juggle book,pen,pieces,and clock,all at once. Must be fun when time pressure starts!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Mar 13

How do you record your moves otb?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by sundown316
..is at OTB events. People using those idiotic hard cover notation books to record their moves. Trying to juggle book,pen,pieces,and clock,all at once. Must be fun when time pressure starts!
I find it hilarious when people act like they actually know what happens at OTB events.

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by sundown316
How is using a hard cover notation book any different than writing on a single scoring sheet? Seems like a nice way to keep all your games together to me.

Maybe you're talking about the common problem they sometimes have of not staying open when they are new. Had a bad experience using one?

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
08 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I find it hilarious when people act like they actually know what happens at OTB events.
Thumbs up. I've always used a floppy scorepad (because I bought in bulk for my club), but I have sometimes envied the hardcover guys when table space was at a premium, as they could hold the books in their laps to record moves and have a solid surface.

I think some of those guys also like the fact that the book folds over, so the other guy can't see if they wrote a move in advance. I never cared that much, but some do.

My hilarious chess moments tend to come under different circumstances. One time in a tournament (in the days when kids were a rare curiousity at tournaments), the deathly quiet was disturbed by one of my friends, who had just dropped his queen. We learned that when the silence was punctuated by a very loud "Oh, f*** me!" Shock was followed quickly by laughter!

e4

Moves
08 Mar 13

I preferred the single sheet as you were then forced to copy down the moves
into your book of games at the same time go over the game. (well that was the plan).
Of course if you had an OTB disaster the score sheet somehow got lost.

I use to to circle the time control move and ½ way to time control.
Some guys use to mark their sheets with a () after every move so they could put
in the time on both clocks.

IM Mark Condie use to put 5 symbols at the top of his score sheet.
I think he picked this up after getting coaching from some Dutch IM when he was about 13-14.

I asked him years ago what it meant he said it helps him not to blunder
and that was all.

I've known Mark for 40+ years I still go around Marks' house at least once a
month for a four hour blitz session (it's good having on tap a blitz partner who
has OTB wins and draws v Anand not to mention draws with Short, Miles and Karpov.)
and I have asked him about those symbols time and time again but he has never told me.

I have quite a collection of score sheets from the time I use to enter games scores
into the Chess Scotland Database. (It was the only way to get games for the Corner.)
I have loads of GM's and IM's score sheets most have wee 'things' on them.
(these guys know something and it's a big secret.)

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by KnightStalker47
How is using a hard cover notation book any different than writing on a single scoring sheet? Seems like a nice way to keep all your games together to me.

Maybe you're talking about the common problem they sometimes have of not staying open when they are new. Had a bad experience using one?
No,I've never used one,a plain scoresheet is good enough for me. Just seems like a waste of time to me going thru all that time and trouble.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Mar 13

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I preferred the single sheet as you were then forced to copy down the moves
into your book of games at the same time go over the game. (well that was the plan).
Of course if you had an OTB disaster the score sheet somehow got lost.

I use to to circle the time control move and ½ way to time control.
Some guys use to mark their sheets with a () afte ...[text shortened]... eets most have wee 'things' on them.
(these guys know something and it's a big secret.)
Of course there is something in the idea of having a personal secretary who records the moves for you🙂 Alternatively, you could have a camcorder set up on a tripod which just films it for you, then notate later! Those quick touch moves and back like the one that Kasparov pulled on Ms Polgar would be out in the open for all to see!