Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Jan '08 21:44
    This morning I had this training idea...(that's not to say that others haven't had the idea also...but anyway)

    "What is Bobby Fischer playing?": To play just study the game below and see at what stage you can work out which player is Bobby Fischer. So your answer would be something like: move 6 Fischer is xxx then insert the colour you think Fischer is playing and the reason why you think this is Fischer...I've left off the last few moves to insert later:


    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 5.Nbd2 Bd6 6.Bg2 Nge7 7.O-O O-O 8.Nh4 b6 9.f4 dxe4 10.dxe4 Ba6 11.Re1 c4 12.c3 Na5 13.e5 Bc5+ 14.Kh1 Nd5 15.Ne4 Bb7 16.Qh5 Ne7 17.g4 Bxe4 18.Bxe4 g6 19.Qh6 Nd5 20.f5 Re8 21.fxg6 fxg6 22.Nxg6 Qd7 23.Nf4 Rad8 24.Nh5 Kh8 25.Nf6 Nxf6 26.exf6 Rg8
  2. 02 Jan '08 22:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Mahout
    This morning I had this training idea...(that's not to say that others haven't had the idea also...but anyway)

    [b]"What is Bobby Fischer playing?":
    To play just study the game below and see at what stage you can work out which player is Bobby Fischer. So your answer would be something like: move 6 Fischer is xxx then insert the colour you think Fische 9.Qh6 Nd5 20.f5 Re8 21.fxg6 fxg6 22.Nxg6 Qd7 23.Nf4 Rad8 24.Nh5 Kh8 25.Nf6 Nxf6 26.exf6 Rg8[/b]
    Edit: never mind. I'v decided that being completely unfamiliar with Fischer's games is an insurmountable handicap here.
  3. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    02 Jan '08 22:12 / 1 edit
    Actually Fischer played KIA frequently against 2...e6 Sicilians!

    So I would say Fischer is White

    Also Fischer hardly ever played 2...e6 Sicilians, the only time I remember was in WCh against Spassky in the last game, he almost always played 2...d6 aiming for a Najdorf!!
  4. 02 Jan '08 22:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Actually Fischer played KIA frequently against 2...e6 Sicilians!

    So I would say Fischer is [b]White


    Also Fischer hardly ever played 2...e6 Sicilians, the only time I remember was in WCh against Spassky in the last game, he almost always played 2...d6 aiming for a Najdorf!![/b]
    ...mmmmhhm maybe this won't work...the idea was to make a judgment from the quality of play rather than knowledge of his repertoire.
  5. 02 Jan '08 22:41
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Edit: never mind. I'v decided that being completely unfamiliar with Fischer's games is an insurmountable handicap here.
    no...that's perfect...look through the game and make a judgment about who you think the famous player is.
  6. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    02 Jan '08 23:41
    Originally posted by Mahout
    ...mmmmhhm maybe this won't work...the idea was to make a judgment from the quality of play rather than knowledge of his repertoire.
    The quality of play is going to be no guide at all with only 26 moves to go by. I have a database of 425 000 games, this line occurs in 700 of them. The earliest is from 1953 and the latest from 2006 so the quality of the play so far in that game is not really going to help much. Repertoire will though, Fischer played KIA and that is what the game is.
  7. 02 Jan '08 23:58
    Originally posted by Mahout
    This morning I had this training idea...(that's not to say that others haven't had the idea also...but anyway)

    [b]"What is Bobby Fischer playing?":
    To play just study the game below and see at what stage you can work out which player is Bobby Fischer. So your answer would be something like: move 6 Fischer is xxx then insert the colour you think Fische ...[text shortened]... 9.Qh6 Nd5 20.f5 Re8 21.fxg6 fxg6 22.Nxg6 Qd7 23.Nf4 Rad8 24.Nh5 Kh8 25.Nf6 Nxf6 26.exf6 Rg8[/b]
    This looks like fischer as white - I think it was called the chameleon variation. In fact, if I recall correctly, this is a very similar opening to one of his 100 greatest hits.
  8. 03 Jan '08 07:02
    Originally posted by Kepler
    The quality of play is going to be no guide at all with only 26 moves to go by. I have a database of 425 000 games, this line occurs in 700 of them. The earliest is from 1953 and the latest from 2006 so the quality of the play so far in that game is not really going to help much. Repertoire will though, Fischer played KIA and that is what the game is.
    Yep...I guess that's another reason the idea is fatally flawed. The idea was to create an added incentive to analyze a master game...but I hadn't realized there were 700 games with this line. We live and learn. Here's the rest of the game anyway where Fischer is playing white against Ivkov in 1966:

    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 5.Nbd2 Bd6 6.Bg2 Nge7 7.O-O O-O 8.Nh4 b6 9.f4 dxe4 10.dxe4 Ba6 11.Re1 c4 12.c3 Na5 13.e5 Bc5+ 14.Kh1 Nd5 15.Ne4 Bb7 16.Qh5 Ne7 17.g4 Bxe4 18.Bxe4 g6 19.Qh6 Nd5 20.f5 Re8 21.fxg6 fxg6 22.Nxg6 Qd7 23.Nf4 Rad8 24.Nh5 Kh8 25.Nf6 Nxf6 26.exf6 Rg8 27.Bf4 Rxg4 28.Rad1 Rdg8 29.f7 1-0
  9. 03 Jan '08 07:14
    I think it could still work though. Why not try picking a grandmaster with a less rigid opening repatoire and playing against a fide or international master. That would be quite intresting to see the step up in play at the master level.
  10. 03 Jan '08 07:21
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I think it could still work though. Why not try picking a grandmaster with a less rigid opening repatoire and playing against a fide or international master. That would be quite intresting to see the step up in play at the master level.
    OK - so we could play Whose the master? ...I'll see if I can find a suitable game later.
  11. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    03 Jan '08 10:57
    Originally posted by Mahout
    OK - so we could play [b]Whose the master? ...I'll see if I can find a suitable game later.[/b]
    You could use the game you have already posted for that. One of the 700 games has Ivkov as white a couple of years after getting beaten by Bobby. In fact you could any reasonably well known player from 1953 to now and find something similar attached to them.
  12. 03 Jan '08 21:44 / 2 edits
    [message content deleted by user]