Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 09 Nov '07 03:24
    I moved my pawn to H5 and my opponent was able to take my pawn at H6 how is this possible?

    I have never heard of this rule could someone explain please?

    Jam
  2. 09 Nov '07 03:25
    http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=enpassant
  3. 09 Nov '07 03:26
    When chess was first started a pawn could only go 1 space. now they can go 2 because of the players who favord e3 e6 e4 e5. now if you go 2 spaces bypassing a pawn directly on either side then your opponent has the option to capture that pawn on the next move and the next move only
  4. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    09 Nov '07 03:29
    here is the game.....he is playing me.

    i told him i was too tired to explain en passant.

    Game 4230179

    and everyone be quiet about posting a game that hasn't finished....geez
  5. 09 Nov '07 03:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    here is the game.....he is playing me.

    i told him i was too tired to explain en passant.

    Game 4230179

    and everyone be quiet about posting a game that hasn't finished....geez
    I got it - Thank you all who replyed

    Jam
  6. 09 Nov '07 04:10
    ..you would be surprised how many times i see en passant available to the other player in late mid-game or even end game and they do not use it when it would be to their advantage...
  7. 09 Nov '07 04:12
    That is because the level of players you are plaing
  8. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    09 Nov '07 04:13
    yep. i even make those risky moves to save my position knowing full well if they en passant i am done....

    but nope they don't do it....and the position closes.
  9. 09 Nov '07 12:49
    Originally posted by Jamelle
    I moved my pawn to H5 and my opponent was able to take my pawn at H6 how is this possible?

    I have never heard of this rule could someone explain please?

    Jam
    I must admit that, when much younger, I had played Chess for several years, even in teams, and did not know about the En Passant rule. The opportunity occurs relatively rarely, I suppose.

    Another rule, perhaps better understood, is that one is not allowed to Castle if one of the squares the K moves through is attacked by the opponent - it does not matter if the K ends up on a safe square.
  10. 09 Nov '07 13:00
    Originally posted by znsho
    I must admit that, when much younger, I had played Chess for several years, even in teams, and did not know about the En Passant rule. The opportunity occurs relatively rarely, I suppose.

    Another rule, perhaps better understood, is that one is not allowed to Castle if one of the squares the K moves through is attacked by the opponent - it does not matter if the K ends up on a safe square.
    There are several anecdotes concerning grandmasters involving confusion about castling rules, especially queenside castling while b1/b8 is under attack, so you're in good company
  11. 09 Nov '07 21:03
    Originally posted by zzyw
    There are several anecdotes concerning grandmasters involving confusion about castling rules, especially queenside castling while b1/b8 is under attack, so you're in good company
    wait, so you can't 0-0-0 if b1 or b8 is under attack??? that doesn't make any sense???
  12. 09 Nov '07 21:24
    Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
    wait, so you can't 0-0-0 if b1 or b8 is under attack??? that doesn't make any sense???
    you can castle queenside (0-0-0) if b1/b8 is under attack. The grandmaster(s) in question was not sure of the rule and asked the arbiter.
  13. 09 Nov '07 21:52
    Originally posted by zebano
    you can castle queenside (0-0-0) if b1/b8 is under attack. The grandmaster(s) in question was not sure of the rule and asked the arbiter.
    oh, thanks.