1. Joined
    28 May '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 00:22
    I have always been fascinated with the game of chess, yet I have never had the time to get into it. I have always been distracted with other activities that more of my friends were into. Anyways, I know there are many experienced chess players on these forums and I was wondering what I should do to try to improve my chess playing ability. Should I buy software programs like chess master, read huge books, play games on this site and try to get better from losing so much? There are a lot of ways I’m sure to get better I’m wondering what would be the best use of my time.

Also I know this question is probably asked a bunch so sorry, but if you could point my in the right direction that would be helpful.
  2. washington
    Moves
    28 May '07 02:59
    depends on your rating. aka how good you are. probably a book on tactics would be good josh waitzkins attacking chess, a book on openings to understand the goal of the opening yasser seirwans winning chess openings. and maybe a fundamental book weapons of chess by bruce pandolfini. i'd start with attacking chess then read some of the opening book to get an idea on what to aim for. you'll know when you read enough. and bruce pandolfinis book will help once you've reached 1300 or so.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 May '07 03:17
    Originally posted by kmac27
    depends on your rating. aka how good you are. probably a book on tactics would be good josh waitzkins attacking chess, a book on openings to understand the goal of the opening yasser seirwans winning chess openings. and maybe a fundamental book weapons of chess by bruce pandolfini. i'd start with attacking chess then read some of the opening book to get an id ...[text shortened]... ow when you read enough. and bruce pandolfinis book will help once you've reached 1300 or so.
    The above advice by kmac27 is, I think, right on the money!

After mastering the basics, I would follow the advice of IM Cecil Purdy, the first World's Correspondence Champion who said that the only "infallible" method of improving your play is to play over well-annnotated master games. (A good first book for that purpose is "Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev.)
  4. washington
    Moves
    28 May '07 03:46
    how come you don't ever play on this site?
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 May '07 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    how come you don't ever play on this site?
    I pretty much like to only play blitz chess, and only face-to-face. I like to employ psychology, which is easier to do when you can see your opponent and he can see you.
  6. USA
    Moves
    28 May '07 04:11
    Originally posted by shizen
    I have always been fascinated with the game of chess, yet I have never had the time to get into it. I have always been distracted with other activities that more of my friends were into. Anyways, I know there are many experienced chess players on these forums and I was wondering what I should do to try to improve my chess playing ability. Should I buy sof ...[text shortened]... asked a bunch so sorry, but if you could point my in the right direction that would be helpful.
    Two things.

Tactics tactics tactics Buy chess tactics for beginners (cd) and do 10-50 everyday. You will improve extremely rapidly

Basic endgames (K and P, the basic checkmates)
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 May '07 05:43
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I pretty much like to only play blitz chess, and only face-to-face. I like to employ psychology, which is easier to do when you can see your opponent and he can see you.
    what kind of things do you do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree