Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 23 Jul '13 13:28
    http://www.freechess.org/
  2. 23 Jul '13 13:42
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    http://www.freechess.org/
    yeah tried to logon yesterday, was down.
  3. 23 Jul '13 15:07 / 1 edit
    How good is FIC , is it as good as chess base playchess . I got a free sub when I bought Fritz . Play chess has no end of blitz players who give a hiding. I had a six month premium membership but only played one blitz tourney. There are are quite a few other free sites , but they can't be that good , because I win games .
  4. 23 Jul '13 17:04
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    How good is FIC , is it as good as chess base playchess . I got a free sub when I bought Fritz . Play chess has no end of blitz players who give a hiding. I had a six month premium membership but only played one blitz tourney. There are are quite a few other free sites , but they can't be that good , because I win games .
    its better I think, more features for free.
  5. 23 Jul '13 17:09
    it's very good, though tournaments with longer time controls are way too few. Blitz players are strong for their grade there. It's a bit cumbersome, even when playing through something like babaschess, but it's my favourite chess site, and given that i wanted to play real time rather than correspondence, is one reason i stopped my sub here.
  6. 23 Jul '13 17:30
    Thx robbie and dewi ,I'm really interested in blitz tourneys and I found the chessbase site hard work. My memberships up now so I'll give FIC a go.
  7. 24 Jul '13 10:33
    Thx robbie and dewi ,I'm really interested in blitz tourneys and I found the chessbase site hard work. My memberships up now so I'll give FIC a go.
    I use the same interface as Dewi, babaschess, you can tweak it to suit your preferences, also you can use SCID which is a database to play on FICS, kind of like you do on playchess.com, the thing i like about FICS is that you have a problem and someone WILL help you, check out all the channels.
  8. 24 Jul '13 11:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I use the same interface as Dewi, babaschess, you can tweak it to suit your preferences, also you can use SCID which is a database to play on FICS, kind of like you do on playchess.com, the thing i like about FICS is that you have a problem and someone WILL help you, check out all the channels.
    Its still down, I'll try and keep the same username and show you how bad I am at blitz. What reason would anyone have in hacking a free site.
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jul '13 12:35
    Its still down, I'll try and keep the same username and show you how bad I am at blitz. What reason would anyone have in hacking a free site.
    It doesn't have to be from hacking. They may have changed servers or their servers could have just crashed from any number of causes or they could be just upgrading their site software.
  10. 24 Jul '13 13:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It doesn't have to be from hacking. They may have changed servers or their servers could have just crashed from any number of causes or they could be just upgrading their site software.
    nope they state that they were down because of hackers.
  11. 24 Jul '13 13:13
    you cannot be any worse than me, at chess.com i have a 2000 correspondence rating and a 1300 blitz rating, on a good day, although i do take great pleasure in beating up Computer 3 hard which is rated about 1600, but it makes thoroughly silly moves, still its satisfying.
  12. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jul '13 16:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    nope they state that they were down because of hackers.
    In that case, lets get Interpol on it! Hack OUR sites will they! What do they hope to gain anyway? Doubt there are thousands of bank account #'s there....
  13. 24 Jul '13 17:21
    Originally posted by Moron Hacker
    How dare FICS offer a free place for people to play chess, let's sock it to the man and bring them down
  14. 24 Jul '13 17:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In that case, lets get Interpol on it! Hack OUR sites will they! What do they hope to gain anyway? Doubt there are thousands of bank account #'s there....
    Are you implying that FIC maybe telling fibs .
  15. 25 Jul '13 07:29
    I am a man without a home now. :'(