1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 16:30
    http://madrantz.net/BlogRantz/?p=2124

It looks like the head admin Chessty’s account was hacked. The culprit moved to ban all other admins and the site has gone dark ever since. Will FICS survive this debacle?

I have a quote from a prominent player communicating with one or more of the admins,

Source, “Chessty’s account was hacked (someone got her password, somehow) and was used to ban all admin accounts. I do know the admins were not really sure what to do except go to the server site and manually shut it down before any real damage could be done. I’m pretty sure that’s what happened. “
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 17:462 edits
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    http://www.freechess.org/
    it might of been a THICK person. 😵
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 17:53
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    Are you implying that FIC maybe telling fibs .
    Talking about the %$^#&# hackers.
  4. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 18:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Talking about the %$^#&# hackers.
    LOL, I can't wait to try the site, %$%&%%###$%%&&------&%%$# hackers.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 18:08
    I suspect that it was someone familiar with the site as a player, and who had a real or perceived grievance or some other axe to grind.

I doubt it was a random target of opportunity for some anonymous hacker.
  6. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 09:42
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    Its still down, I'll try and keep the same username and show you how bad I am at blitz. What reason would anyone have in hacking a free site.
    I personally know two real life hackers, (one works for the FEDS at this moment to catch other hackers), and they both told me the same, exact thing, word for word, when I asked them why they do it; "To see if i can"...
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 14:47
    Originally posted by Westside Mobster
    I personally know two real life hackers, (one works for the FEDS at this moment to catch other hackers), and they both told me the same, exact thing, word for word, when I asked them why they do it; "To see if i can"...
    Yes, but this was a rather clumsy attack. Anyone with any skill would try to make it so the site admins couldn't tell the site had been cracked. Unless they wanted something easy as a starter project I doubt it's a motiveless hack, boasting that you've hacked a free website isn't going to get much cred at conventions. Probably someone wanted to adjust their rating by deleting some of their losses, and thought locking out the other admins would give them sole control of the machine.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 19:23
    You mean there might be a bright chess player is a narrogant, condescending jerk with nothing better to do that be a pain in other's side?

Say it isn't so! 😀
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 15:29
    Maybe ICC hacked them 😀, ICC are giving away a months free trial membership atm, it's very good. I prefer babaschess to the ICC software, but that aside, theres much more stuff at ICC.
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 20:20
    Well, it's back up, temporarily at the least.

White could gamble and try 7.g6!? .

Let's hope FICS holds! I've been getting my blitz fix at yahoo for goodness sakes!
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 23:39
    GASP!!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree